RockWare Support Forum
d.campbell13

Constraining gridding and contouring to a defined polygon

I'm trying to figure out how to grid and contour datasets where the z variable only exits within a certain polygon. Other gridding and contouring programs have the ability to create a mask where only points inside or outside the mask are used in the gridding and contouring.

In RW16 there is an ability to constrain the grid to a defined polygon (xyz filter). However when I try this, contours always manage to "leak" out of the polygon. Can anybody advise of a way round this? Thanks.

Hi dcampbell13,

Yes, you can restrict a grid model to a polygon. RockWorks stores the polygon vertices in a Polygon Table in the database. Draw the polygon on a base map, click on it to select it, then right-click and choose Save to Polygon Table. Specify the polygon in Utilities Grid | Filters | Polygon Clip.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Also, if you want the program to only take into account data within (or outside) of the polygon during interpolation, then you can do this in the Spatial Filters panel on the right side of most menus.

Some of the modeling tools allow you to automatically clip a model based on the polygon after it is created (stratigraphy, I-Data/P-Data/T-Data). Other types of models, such as lithology and grids/models created through the Utilities, have to be clipped after they are initially created through the Grid/Filter or Solid/Filter menu.

Thanks,

Alison