RockWare Support Forum
d.campbell13

Importing and correlating markers in Striplogs

In my project I have a broad stratigraphy scheme but I would like to import depths of numerous marker units (coals) in wells that can be used to create datumed strip log sections. In addition I would like to correlate these markers between wells. If I import the markers into Stratigraphy Tables that would work, but it would create additional problems. I could import the markers as I-text or P-text and display them on Striplogs but don't see how I could datum the section. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi d.campbell13,

Using Stratigraphy is the only easy way to create cross-sections hung on a datum, since the datum must be a Stratigraphy unit or formation.

What are the additional problems that you mention?

Thanks

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom,

The additional problems are numerous (!) - I have a total of 73 individual coals that may be present to one extent or another in 178 wells. I have spreadsheets identifying the presence of certain coals in certain wells (identified by maceral content and relationship to underlying tonstein bands) and would like to extend the correlation using wireline logs. These 73 coals are spread over 8 formations that have been picked and correlated and included in the stratigraphic table.

My fear is that by importing 73 additional elements into the existing stratigraphic scheme I will lose the ability to extract data on formation thickness etc. Is this a valid fear? Can I import the coals as sub-units?

Hi d.campbell13,

You can still map formation thicknesses with interbedded coals in each borehole. The Stratigraphy | Stratigraphic Thicknesses menu command lets you specify the upper and lower stratigraphy unit and whether you are using the top or the base of that unit for the map.

The Striplog | 2-Dimensional | Section menu command lets you hang the section on any stratigraphy unit. If that unit is not present in one of the boreholes in the section, that borehole will be plotted out of position vertically.

You do not have to create a Stratigraphy | Model with the coals present in the stratigraphy table.

You may want to create separate projects, one without coals and one with coals. If you choose to add the coal picks to the current same project be sure to backup the project prior to adding the coals.

The coal units can be added as "sub-units" between the top and base of another formation in the Stratigraphy table if you do not create a stratigraphy model.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom,

I've returned to this issue after being diverted onto other things. I can see the possibilities involved in having two projects, one with coals and one without, but it would be nicer to have one integrated project.

In your last sentence you say "the coal units can be added as 'sub-units' between the top and base of another formation in the Stratigraphy Table if you do not create a stratigraphy model". Can you expand on this please? How exactly do you create a 'sub-unit'? I have pored over the help menu but didn't find a way.

Many thanks, D.