RockWare Support Forum
SethD

Converting the outer boundary of a plume to polygon

Is it possible to convert the boundary of a plume to a polygon? Specifically the outer boundary of a plume (the outline of a plume when looking straight down from above). I have a grid file of a plume that gives me the outer boundary of a plume and would like to use this outer boundary as a clipping feature.

Thanks,

Seth

Seth,

I can think of a couple of options:

1. Plot a contour map of the polygon. Perhaps a contour line for a very low concentration can be converted to a polygon table (if it is drawn as a closed polygon in RockPlot2D). To do this, select the contour line with your mouse, right click, and choose "Save to Polygon Table".

2. If this doesn't work, then you can draw a polygon on the map that covers the extents of the plume. Then, select that drawn polygon, right click, and choose "Save to Polygon Table".

Once you've created a Polygon Table, it can be used to clip your solid model in the Solid Modeling Options window.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Alison

The above idea has been working for me until I came across a case where I would have multiple enclosed polygons and would like to save them to 1 polygon table file. How would you go about doing that? Attached is an example of what I am talking about.

Seth,

There are no tools in the program currently for using multiple polygon tables at once. I would suggest that you create one model for each polygon, and then sum all of the models together to create a composite model. Models can be added together using the Solid / Math / Model & Model math tool in the Utilities. When you do this, you should make the Undefined Node value 0, instead of the null value. This is because the sum of the null value plus any other value always results in a null value. If you use 0, instead of null, then the program can be used to add all three plume models together.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Alison