RockWare Support Forum
longduckdong

Calculate Slope Using Surfer 8

If I have an excavation and a point on the crest (or a bunch of crest points) and I put in a slope of 4:1 and I have a known pit bottom floor. Will Surfer be able to calculate where the slope intersects the pit floor and what the XYZ coordinates will be at the point?

Surfer can calculate the intersection of two GRD files with Grid Math. Subtract the two GRD files, create a contour map, plot only the zero contour (thickness), export the contour to an ASCII BLN file, then use Grid Residuals to get the Z value at points along the BLN line.

However, I can't think of an easy way to create the GRD file descending at 4:1 slope from the crest points. You may be able to calculate a few points on the slope then grid them with a first order polynomial algorithm to get an inclined plane at the right slope. RockWorks can also be used to initialize a grid with a single starting point and slope, then export the grid to a Surfer GRD format.

Another option is to use the QuickSurf software inside AutoCAD to calculate the slope with the Pad Construction method in the help file.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc