RockWare Support Forum
Tim Rocks

grid from g value

Hi,

I have creating a solid model using geochemistry data. Is there a way to extract and create a grid file from a specific g value concentration?

Or is there a way to interpolate my dataset to produce a grid file (surface) of the g value i require?

Thanks

Hi Tim,

The RockWorks 15 Utilities Solid -> Grid command has the option to extract a grid file with the highest or lowest elevation for the minimum or maximum concentration value for the vertical column of cells at each (x,y) location. To extract the elevation for a specified concentration value that is not the minimum or maximum, filter the concentration model file to contain only the value of interest.

• Choose the Utilities Solid | Filter | Range Filter menu command.
    • Specify the input solid model file and new output solid model file name.
    • Under Filters, add a check mark to the High-Stop/Low-Pass option.
      • Set the Threshold to the value you wish to extract.
      • Set the Replacement to the same value. This will replace any values higher than the value of interest with the cutoff value.
    • Add a check mark to the Low-Stop/High-Pass option.
      • Set the Threshold to a slightly smaller value than the High-Stop/Low-Pass Threshold. For example, I set the High-Stop/Low-Pass Threshold to 75, and the Low-Stop/High-Pass Threshold to 74.99.
      • Set the Replacement to NULL or -1e27.
    • ‚ÄčThis will create a solid model containing only the specified value, e.g. 75.
  • Choose the Solid | Convert | Solid -> Grid menu command to extract a grid file.
    • Specify the solid model file created in the previous step.
    • Specify the output grid file name for the upper surface.
    • Select the option Z = Highest Elevation of Highest G-Value.
  • Repeat the Solid | Convert | Solid -> Grid command.
    • Specify the same solid model file as in the previous step.
    • Specify the output grid file name for the lower surface.
    • Select the option Z = Lowest Elevation of Highest G-Value.

‚ÄčThe result is two grid files representing the upper and lower surface of the ore body.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

hey thanks Tom,

that is a useful function. unfortunately, i after trying this out it doesn't produce the desired surface (no fault of rockworks).

in this case the high concentrations are above and below a low concentration area. the situation is an mineral ore body bound by higher concentrations of silica above and below it.

is there any way to create a grid from the higher concentrations that form the lower and higher bounding units? i am particular interesting in creating a surface that is the lower boudary mineralisation.

Regards,

Hi Tim,

You may be able to create separate models with just the upper or lower zones if they can be segregated by a constant Z elevation. Change the Project Dimensions to change the Z extents.

If this method does not resolve the problem, you are welcome to upload a ZIP file with your MOD file to http://rockware.com/upload and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc