RockWare Support Forum
Remfeldt

I-data fence diagram

Hi,

I'm trying to display my SPT-data from BHs into I-data fence diagram. I want a visualize the properties in the earth and in different layer. Am I working the right function?

If yes - I got some problems, when I try to process my model. My model appears like a flat area with my added panels. I have typed the I-data in as this:

Depth to top Depth to base Value
-2.3 -2.0 4.0

-1.3 -1.0 4.0

First of all.. Do I need to define the values in between -1.3 to -2.0?

I might be all wrong choosing I-data fence diagram, but in my case I thought it would be the best way to show the different layers in the earth - and notice that - with values.

I hope there's a way to deal with my different problems

BR Remfeldt

Hi BR Remfeldt,

RockWorks uses positive values for depths, so the intervals would be:

Depth to top     Depth to base     Value 
1.0                   1.3            4.0 
2.0                   2.3            4.0

Intervening intervals do not have to be defined. The midpoint of the interval is used when interpolating a model.

A fence diagram is a good way to display the model. Please provide additional detail that describes any problem that occurs.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thanks Tom. Now I think I got the right informations put into the program. Step one completed!

Next thing is: When I'm reading the tutorial for managing i-data, it says that I have to define a max- and minimum. Right now my setting is like this:

Column Name Min Value Max Value Units Description

SPT 0 65

Do I have to define some intervals in between like 0-10, 11-20 and so on..?

I'm trying to do a i-data fence, but I think, I'm far from the goal at the moment.

Best Regards
Ole Remfeldt

Hi Ole,

It looks like you have the I-Data Types table all set up, but you will need to enter the data in the I-Data table.

I-DataTableI-DataTypes.png

The I-Data table on the left is used to enter borehole data.

The I-Data Types table on the right is used to define the types of data.

Thanks,

Tom B

Yeah, but the case is, that I don't have any materials to define. It's just values from the SPT tests. I can define some intervals since my data are from 0-65.

I have tried to fill in the Interval (I-data) Data Columns

Column Name Min Value Max Value Units Description

SPT1 0 10
SPT2 11 20
SPT3 21 30
SPT4 31 40
SPT5 41 50
SPT6 51 65

But when it's done, I've got 6 columns to fill the data into. Should I sort the values in the different columns? If that's the case, it will take a while doing that with 200 boreholes.

Another problem pops up, when I'm trying to do process. It says that there's no control points within the project area. I have scanned the enabled boreholes to make sure dimensions fit.

Best regards
Remfeldt

Hi Remfeldt,

I do not see a reason to enter the SPT1-SPT6 in the I-Data Types table. Only 1 "SPT" item is needed in the types table, then you can enter your intervals in the I-Data (Intervals) table. (See graphic in previous message.)

Which menu are you displaying when you press the Process button? If you are in the I-Data | Model menu, then the error may indicate that you have not entered any data in the I-Data table.

You are welcome to backup your project and upload it to http://www.rockware.com/upload/ and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

When I'm in the I-data | Model menu and press Process it gives me a map which indicate the different SPT-values i 2D. But I can't say anything about the layers beneath. That's what I was hoping a Fence Diagram would be able to tell me.

I've send you a file. Thanks for your help so far!

Hi Ole,

All the wells in your data were listed with a total depth of 0, and the project dimensions ranged from 0 to 11 in the Z direction.

To correct the total depths to match your data, choose the Project | Check Data Integrity menu command and Set TD to Deepest Value. Remove the check marks from the other check boxes.

After creating the fence diagram, change the Vertical Exaggeration in the View | Dimensions menu to at least 100 to view the plot. The X range is 3500, the Y range is 7100, and the Z range is 29. RockWorks plots 3D data with an initial 1:1 aspect ratio between horizontal and vertical, so the initial display is a thin plane.

When creating the model for the fence diagram, I recommend truncating the model with a GRD file representing the ground surface. If you have not already created this GRD file, use the Automatic option for constraining the solid model with an upper surface generated from the borehole collar elevations. In the plot below, I also used a lower surface to constrain the model to the elevations of the total depths of the boreholes.

IDataSPTFence.png

Thanks,

Tom B
RockWare Inc

Thank you so much! It was actually just the TD which was set to 0 that fixed all my problems. Now I can produce a plot which describes the soil very good. Fantastic program.

I just need few more things to get it all done and look something like your model. I guess it's the striplogs which are shown outside of the fence diagram. My logs have same color, blue. Why is that? When I'm configuring the striplogs in I-Data Fence Diagram | 3D Striplog Designer, I'm setting check mark by I-data #1 and then progress. The striplog should be able to have same legend and color theme as the fence diagram, right?

Second issue is to add a grid, which can tell the depths in the layers. I can go to Reference Cage | Panels & Grid and check mark West and North. Then I got some values between -10 to 10.

Best Regards
Remfeldt

Hi Remfeldt,

To change the colors of the 3D Striplogs, click on the 3D Striplog Designer tab, click on the text #1 in the I-Data section to edit the options for that track, then expand the Fill Style item and change the setting to Variable.

To plot the depths for each borehole, turn on the Depths track in the 3D Striplog Designer. The Reference Cage lists the elevations of the objects in the plot.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc