RockWare Support Forum

uniform display of custom legend color tables in 2D and 3D diagrams

Lara

Hi

I have a solid model from which I am creating both 3D and 2D (extracted horizontal grid) diagram views. I am also applying a custom legend color table I have created for this dataset to both views.

When I use the custom color table in 3D views, RockWorks 15 generates a legend with classes sorted from high (at the top) to low (at the bottom of the legend). When I use the same custom color table in the horizontal layer grid extraction utility, RockWare generates a legend with classes sorted from low (at the top) to high (at the bottom of the legend).

Since I'm using the exact same custom classification in both cases, it is desirable to have the legend appear the exactly the same in both my 2D and 3D views. How do I set sorting of the legend to achieve this?

thanks,

Lara

Edited by Lara

Hi Lara,

the problem is that the tables used in RockPlot2D have no implicit order and are always sorted from low (top) to high (bottom). In RockPlot3D your using a tab file and the order is set by the order in the file so all you need to do is reverse the order in your tab file so that the order is the same as in RockPlot2D,

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to have RockPlot2D tables sorted from high (top) to low (bottom)? This is often the preferred convention (and would thus be a better alternative than manually altering RockPlot3D tab files/legends to suit the undesirable RockPlot2D sort order).

thanks again,

Lara

Also, the data in my color fill table file for RockPlot 3D is already in the same order as the RockPlot 2D legends: low (top) to high (bottom), and, as described in my initial post, RockPlot 3D sorts it differently from RockPlot 2D. So I have yet to figure out how to get custom legends (or, for that matter, even auto legends) to sort the same way between 2D and 3D plots. Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

thanks,

Lara

OK thanks Tom for explaning the difference between color fill tables and color index tables. Our phone conversation further clarified that I cannot simply import a color fill.tab as a color index.tab because the text file formats for the two types of tables are different:

Color Fill Table format:

LowerRangeValue<tab>UpperRangeValue<tab>ColorIndexValue<CR>

Color Index Table format:

ColorIndexValue<tab>TextCaption<CR>

With this understanding, I was able to use a text editor to manually cut and paste color index value info from my color fill.tab to create a color index.tab with desired captions that I could then import to achieve the legend dipslay sort order I am seeking.

Still a lot of hoops to jump through. I appreciate that RW is putting legend sort order functionality on the development wish list!

Just for future reference, the format of the Color Fill Table I typed above is incorrect. It also requires a tab at the end of each line:

LowerRangeValue<tab>UpperRangeValue<tab>ColorIndexValue<tab><CR>