RockWare Support Forum
SBrellen

Borehole analytical I-data

When entering borehole analytical data, is it better to use the depths of the water column or depths of the screened interval as "depth1" and "depth2".

Hi SBrellen,

Which depths best represent your data? Are the tops of the screened interval below the top of the saturated zone of the aquifer? Does the top of the water column extend above the top of the aquifer? What lithologies are involved?

Create some striplog cross-sections to visualize your different types of data.

If all else fails, model both types of depths and see which ones give the most reasonable results.

Thanks,
Tom B
RockWare Inc

The groundwater samples are usually collected using a bailer following purging a set amount of volume from the well so I think of them as a composite of the water column without a set depth. If using low flow, the pump intake is placed in the center of the screened interval so I treat that as sampling an interval. The screened interval is usually set below the top of the saturated zone and, when not in drought conditions, the water column does extend above the screened interval.

Hi SBrellen,

Since you treat samples as a composite of the entire water column, using the top and base of the water column as the interval sounds reasonable. The top and bottom depths are used to draw a bar chart for I-Data on a striplog, and the midpoint is used for creating a 3D model.

In addition, I suggest creating GRD files of the top and base of the water table, and using the GRD files as upper and lower bounding surfaces when creating a 3D model of geochemical properties.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc