RockWare Support Forum
SBrellen

Best algorithm for benzene plume modeling

Which would be the best algorithm to use when creating a model or a surface map of a benzene plume? And when I am creating a 3D model, what is the easiest way to restrict the display to only concentrations above a certain level?

Thanks

Dear SBrellen,

The choice of a modeling algorithm will depend on your data distribution and range. I suggest trying the default Inverse Distance to start, then trying other algorithms and settings as needed.

To restrict a 3D model to a certain concentration, double-click on the model in the object list and set the Filter to the desired value.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

If have a 2-3 wells that are heavily impacted in a well network of about 25 (the remaining wells are not impacted), which algorithm would be best suited? The trouble I am running into is when I create a surface map of the benzene concentration, the heavily impacted wells skew the surrounding wells to appear as though they are impacted.

If your data values span several orders of magnitude, try the Logarithmic option in the Additional Options section on the right side of the Solid Modeling Options dialog box for 3D .MOD modeling, and in the Gridding Options dialog box for 2D .GRD modeling.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom

Revisiting an old topic. Can you give examples of when I should use a T-data surface map over a plan map, and vice versa? I have a system of monitoring wells, all screened around the same interval, with several years of T-data for benzene. The interval I used for the spreadsheet is the screened interval, since I treat the groundwater samples as sort of a composite of all the formation water within that screen. I am unsure what slice from the plan map is an accurate representation of the impacts. The grid I use was created from surface elevations. How does the grid factor into the modelling?

Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The T-Data Surface Map and Plan Map are 3D and 2D representations of a horizontal slice through the T-Data 3D solid model. Look at a cross-section through the T-Data model to decide on the level to select the elevation for the horizontal slice.

You may want to consider a T-Data Statistics Map to show the maximum value of all solid model nodes at each XY location.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc