RockWare Support Forum
Guest pezischnee

Multi-log 3D distorted columns ?

Guest pezischnee

Dear all,

I have recently started to use Rockworks. The tutorials worked fine and I also read through the forum, but couldn't find anything on my problem. I can easily create 2D logs and sections, but when it comes to 3D I get distorted, angled columns (or none at all). Solid models come with holes. It might be something very obvious, but despite all efforts, I seem to miss something. I work with MS 7, RW 15. The project includes 13 closely spaced logs of 1m total depth.

I would appreciate help, as I am getting a little desperate here.

Thanks a lot, Pezischnee

post-10702-0-56294600-1358172049_thumb.jpg

Hi Pezischnee,

It is hard to tell from the graphic, but it looks like you may have run into a limitation of the OpenGL 3D display engine. This can happen when the coordinates are in the millions, but the range of the coordinates (max - min) is a small number, and cannot be displayed with the single precision coordinates used by OpenGL.

One way to work around the problem is to reduce the number significant digits in the XY coordinates by subtracting out the millions value. Another way is to map a larger area.

If you have any questions about this procedure, let me know.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi Tom, 

I substracted 300,000 for the easting and 6,000,000 for the northing coordinates and now everythings seems to work fine!

Thank you very much for quick response and help!

Hi Pezischnee,

It's good to hear that you were able to work around the problem by subtracting the large values to reduce the number of digits. Thanks for letting me know!

Tom B

RockWare Inc