RockWare Support Forum

Setting dimensions for I-Data Fence

SBrellen

Is there a way to prevent the program from interpolating data above your highest interval data location? I have several 100' wells that were discretely sampled, the shallowest being 48-50'. When I create a fence diagram, I cannot seem to figure out how to only display data from 48' and deeper. Any quick assistance on this problem?

Thanks!

Hi SBrellan,

First, note that a solid or block model in Rockworks is interpolated to the extents of the project dimensions you've defined, using the node spacing also defined there. Fence diagrams are basically slices from that solid MOD file, displayed in 3D.

If you wish to limit the panels to a specific elevation range you can either restrict the extents of the model or hide upper nodes.

1. Adjust your Project Dimensions, Z axis, to extend only to the highest elevation you wish to view. This creates a smaller MOD file, limited to the elevation range you've specified. Nodes above that elevation are not interpolated.

2. Clip the larger model using a surface. The program will interpolate all of the nodes, but will hide (set to null) the nodes above the specified surface. The surface filter is defined in the Solid Modeling Options window, under Model Constraints. Turn on the Upper Surface filter, choose Manual, and browse for the grid model to be used to restrict the model. This does require that you've created a GRD file representing the uppermost elevations to display in the model. (There are a number of ways you could do this: If you have stratigraphy defined in the project, you could use a stratigraphic surface. Or use an aquifer surface. Or use the Utilities Grid | Initialize tool to create a planar or inclined surface.)

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

Thanks for the quick reply Molly. I have started using your suggestions. I don't have it perfect yet but I will keep at it. Should I create a stratigraphic layer between 0-48' and then create a model of it if that is the area I would like to cut out?

Another question: I would like to change up the color scale on I-data diagrams to display any values say under 7 (scale from 0-950) as white or between 7 to 0 as progressively lighter grey. What would be the method to display that? I would like to ignore any lower values so they don't dominate my diagram. I have attached a screen shot example of one of my fence diagrams to help explain post-10508-027315600 1337634656_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!

The best way to generate the surface for constraining the model will depend on what data is available. If you have stratigraphic information in the database which defines the top of the zone you wish to view in the fence panels, then you could use a grid created in the Stratigraphy | Model tool or Stratigraphy | Structural Elevations to constrain your I-Data model. Or, you could use the Aquifer | Model tool to create a surface defining the limit of a water-bearing layer.

If you want to change the coloration of the fence panels, you'll need to do that individually in Rockplot3D. Just double-click on each panel to access the fence grid options. You can either turn on the Filter option and set the Low value to the minimum level you wish to render as visible. Or you can set each panel to a color scheme = Color File. The Color File is an export from a Color Fill Table in the database which defines value ranges and the colors to be used to represent them.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

The two methods I usually use are:

1. 3D "stick" logs: Create a separate diagram in Striplogs / Multi-Log 3D (or turn on Plot Logs in the Model/Fence settings) with the 3D log designer set to include titles and axes only. This generates a generic "stick log" diagram. You can append a separate R3DXML scene to the current view using File / Append. This is nice because it shows the titles, the borehole locations, and the traces of the holes for 3D reference.

2. Floating/draped borehole location map: Create a Map / Borehole Location Map, save the RK6 file. In RockPlot2D select File / Export / RockPlot3D where you can float the map at a specific elevation, or drape it over a ground surface contour map. Save this, then File / Append to the fence/model view. Note that you may wish to use the layers options in RockPlot2D to turn on/off the 2d map items you wish to view in the 3D export.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.