RockWare Support Forum
JosephECM

Looking for a new laptop.

I am in the market for a new laptop and wanted to know if anyone had a particular recommendation for a decent Rockworks machine? Currently I run RW14 on my desktop computer which is a quadcore with 8gb of ram and it is ok. My current laptop can barely run RW in 3D, so I'd like to get a newer one that might have a little more graphics/processing power. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Joeseph,

we've run Rockworks on computers with less power than yours without any difficulty. This indicates that your computer may be encumbered with a large number of background processes which get added over time. The most straight forward way of cleaning your computer is to reformat your hard disk and reinstall Windows but reinstalling all those programs that you've installed can be a real nuisance.

An alternative is to run a program included with Windows call MSCONFIG that will show you all the processes and programs that are starting automatically when your computer starts up. It does take some experience to figure out which ones are necessary but MSCONFIG allows you to recover if you turn off ones that are necessary. To run MSCONFIG use the Windows Key + R to get to the Run dialog and type in MSCONFIG. Once it's open look at the Services and Startup tabs and uncheck items that don't seem needed.

If your hard drive is fairly full that will also slow down your computer. You might want to move old data files and programs off your computer.

If you still are interested in a new computer 8MB and a quad core CPU should be fine but make sure that you get an enhanced video card with dedicated memory.

One additional possibility is that your laptop is infected with a virus or malware. Even computers with AV and Firewall protection can and do get infected. While there is commercial and free software available to clean your computer the only sure way of ridding yourself of these problems is to reformat and reinstall Windows.

For whatever it's worth, my laptop is an Asus N53Jq with 6 GB RAM and a Q740 1.73 GHz processor, running Windows 7/64, and I love it! I think it's considered a gaming machine, and the enhanced graphics capabilities helps a lot with RockWorks' images.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.