RockWare Support Forum
JosephECM

Draped aerial image issues.

I'm using RW 14 and I tried to drape an aerial image over my lith model and it is not in the correct position. I also inserted a floating image using the x and y max/min coordinates I got off of it in autocad and that image is in the correct position. Can you please advise me on correctly draping the image over the model in the correct position? I should also add that the floating image covers a larger area than the model extents. I am not sure if this may be causing the issue or not? I attached the plan view of the floating image(larger) and the draped image (smaller) for your reference.

post-9788-067063700 1336497079_thumb.jpg

Hi Joseph,

The image draping utility (Imagery | Drape) makes a very important assumption: that the extents of the image are equal to the extents of the grid model (.GRD) over which you are draping it.

You have a couple of options:

1. You can use the Imagery | Rectify program to import the image using three known calibration points; this tool allows you to clip it to the program dimensions AND drape it over a grid model, all in one step.

2. If your image is oriented N-S, E-W and you know the edge coordinates, use Imagery | Raster -> RKW to import the entire image into RockPlot2D. You can then use RockPlot2D's Utilities | Clip program to clip the image to the project coordinates. That clipped image could then be draped over the grid model (RockPlot's File | Export | RockPlot3D).

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

Molly, I tried using option 1 first and it didn't capture the area I was interested in. Then I imported the aerial image based on the xy coordinates in CAD, and clipping the area we are interested in based on the model dimensions, and also using the mouse and neither one of them clipped the image down to that desired size? The program opens up another window showing the so called clipped image but it's still the exact same size? Do you know why this is?

Hi Joseph,

Molly is out of the office, but I am happy to take a look at your files to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi Joseph,

The files that I will need include the image file and the GRD file that you are using for draping. Also send the coordinates that you use to register the image in a TXT file. The XY min max coordinates will be best, but if you want me to test the 3-point calibration, send those coordinates and annotate where the three points are on the image.

Large files may be uploaded to the RockWare web site at http://rockware.com/upload/

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom,

I just uploaded the surface .grd file, the aerial image, and the coordinates .txt files to your upload site. Thanks for your help on this.

Hi Joseph,

- I duplicated the problem clipping the image in RockWorks 14. Apparently, this features was not enabled until RockWorks 15 was released. I have attached clipped PNG, PNGw, and RK6 files for you to use.

- I am unable to float the image over the grid file by itself. However, I can float it if I create a contour map with the image as a background bitmap, then export to RockPlot/3D.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

AerialClipped.zip

Tom,

The area you clipped does not match the grd file I sent? The aerial covers a larger swath of the site which covers two separate sites, and for some reason the clipped image you sent me is corresponding to the other site? Any way is it possible to approach this image clipping issue any other ways? I have didger 4, perhaps I can use that program to clip the image? Only thing is I don't really understand how to bring the image into diddger via coordinates and then overlay the model reference cage on top of it to use as a clipping boundary?

Hi Joseph,

I get the same results in Didger as in RockWorks 15. Please check your coordinates.

aerialclippeddidger2.png

Red rectangle outlines original image, green rectangle defined from project coordinates and used as clipping polygon.

Here are the coordinates from your file image_coordinates.txt.

Image corner coordinates:

xmin: 6238969.56

ymin: 2058610.52

xmax: 6240721.91

ymax: 2059822.15

Solid model coordinates:

xmin: 6239400.0

ymin: 2058700.0

xmax: 6239810.0

Ymax: 2059160.0

Minimum values are in the lower left, and maximum values are in the upper right. I use these coordinates to create a BLN file that draws the rectangles in Didger, and you can clip the image with the selected rectangle.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc