RockWare Support Forum
Daniele

Lithology solid model - boolean operation

I've built a lithology solid model with A, B and C materials with corresponding G values 1, 2 and 3.

I would like to map areas where A and B are both present.

I tried:

1) Solid Model Boolean Filter and I filter for G=1 (thresholds Lower/Upper both set to 1). The resulting boolean model contains 1 values if material A is present. I call it G1

2) Solid Model Boolean Filter and I filter for G=2 (thresholds Lowe/Upper both set to 2). The resulting boolean model contains 1 values if material B is present. I call it G2

3) Solid Model Boolean Filter and I filter for G=1 e 2 (thresholds Lower=1, Upper=2). The resulting boolean model contains 1 values if material A e B are present (single and both). I call it G1e2

How can I performe a model operation to get a solid model where A and B are both present?

Thank you.

DLattuada

Hi Daniele,

If your intent is to create a Lithology / Surface Map or Lithology / Plan Map to display only areas where A or B are present, I would use the Solid / Filter / Range Filter to filter your lithology model. Turn on the High-Stop/Low-Pass filter to "stop" values > 2. Set the Threshold to 2.1 and the replacement to null. This will generate a new lithology model, only with 1's and 2's, corresponding to lithotypes A and B.

Then create the Plan map or Surface map, being sure to select Use Existing Model, and specify the name of the filtered lithology model. Of course, you can also display the filtered lithology model in 3D, as a fence, etc., being sure to choose Use Existing Model.

This process is different from the Boolean model process because it maintains the original lithotypes; it does not convert the model to a "true/false" model.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hi Molly,

I attached a PDF showing what I would like to do in Rockworks.

Starting from the Lithology model, I get the Surface map (outcrops for materials G=1 and G=2), described in the PDF's 1st picture.

As I show in the 2nd picture, there is an area (plan area) where materials G=1 and G=2 are both present. Both present means to me that I found material G=1 and G=2 in the same drilled borehole (the same results come out in the lithology model built from the same boreholes).

I would like to show the intersection beetwen material G=1 with G=2 as illustrated in 3th picture.

Is it possible?

Thank you.

DLattuada

Hi DLattuada,

I think that there is some confusion about exactly what you want. Do you want to create a plan view map showing the extents of the two different lithology types, and where they overlap? If so, we'll send you some instructions.

Thanks,

Alison

Yes, I would like to have a 2d "map showing the extents of the two different lithology types, and where they overlap".

I don't need a plan view obtained from a model slice at a particular elevation. I would like to separate the whole area in 3 different zones as illustrated in the 3rd picture of my previous attached pdf file:

1. G=1 only

2. G=2 only

3. G=1 and G=2

When I'll get the 3 zones I will filter the model with a polygon representing the 3 zones' boundaries .

Thank you

Daniele Lattuada

Daniele,

Thanks for the clarification. There are probably about 5 different ways to get what you need. Since you already have the boolean models created, here is one option:

1. For each Boolean model, create a grid composed of 1s and 0s through the Solid --> Convert --> Solid->Grid tool. I would use the "Highest G-Value" conversion option. Because your boolean models are composed of 1s and 0s, you'll end with 1s in areas where the unit exists and 0s where it does not.

2. Once you've created these two new boolean grids, you can add them together to determine where both units exist. Do this through the Grid --> Math --> Grid and Grid Math menu. You'll end of with 1s where one of the units exist and 2s where both units exist. The other option would be to multiply the two grids together so that you end of with 1s where both units exist and 0s where 1 or no units exist.

I hope that this helps. If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Alison