RockWare Support Forum
Daniele

Stratigraphy - solid model - how to manual edit

I built a stratigraphy solid model for getting slice.

I Rockworks all my BHs have the same stratigraphy level (A B C D E). If a strat level is not found in the stratigraphy, the strat level has 0 thickness.

I attached the 3d solid model generated with the kriging algorithm. The only level A is visible (gray). The model is clipped. The red circle identify the BH with the A level.

I was wondering if I can edit the top level A to get a more realistic representation avoiding the A level to appear far away from the BH in which is found.

Thank you

I'm using RCK ver 03/2012.

Hi Daniele,

I can't tell what is going on from your graphic, but you are welcome to archive your database and GRD files and send them to me at http://rockware.com/upload and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

I'll try to make my question more general.

I've 3 layers A B and C.

Every BH have all layers. For all the BH I set A layer to 0 thickness.

I create a stratigraphy model.

I'not satisfied by the layer A grid interpolation file. I need to edit the top most layer A grid for a better representation.

So I copy the B top/base grid and rename A.

Edit grid A and save it.

I rebuid the stratigraphy model without interpolate surface.

Is it correct?

Thank you.

Hi Daniele,

You can copy the B_Top.grd to A_Base.grd and copy B_Top.grd to A_Top.grd to create a model where the A layer is zero thickness everywhere and coincides with the top of the B.

Then you can edit the A_Top.grd to add some elevations and save it, though this method could be tedious. When you create a new Stratigraphy 3D plot, do not reinterpolate the surfaces. I suggest making a copy of the GRD files in a backup folder in case they get overwritten by mistake.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi Danielle,

Yes, to make the A layer identical to the B layer you can manually copy the B grids, rename them to A_top.grd and A_base.grd, (edit them as necessary), and create the diagram using those grids (with Interpolate Surfaces turned off). The Save Numeric Model - to save the 3D strat model in a solid block model - can be built using those existing grids.

Other things you might try:

1. Try a different gridding algorithm or settings: If A is 0 thickness in 3 holes but 2 thickness in 3 others, those thicknesses can still render the surfaces > 0 thickness if the gridding settings are looking at a lot of neighbors. Triangulation might work, or reduce the number of neighbors being used in Inverse Distance or Kriging.

2. The Constrain Model based on Ground Surface option allows you to clip the stratigraphic surfaces with a grid representing the ground topography - helpful if you have a good topo grid and poor BH control (though that might not be the case for you).

3. The Grid menu's Filters / Limit program allows you to constrain one surface based on another.

4. The Grid menu's Filters / Polygon Clip program allows you to replace nodes in one grid inside or outside a polygon with the nodes of another grid.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

Thank you for your quick answer.

Hi Danielle,

Yes, to make the A layer identical to the B layer you can manually copy the B grids, rename them to A_top.grd and A_base.grd, (edit them as necessary), and create the diagram using those grids (with Interpolate Surfaces turned off). The Save Numeric Model - to save the 3D strat model in a solid block model - can be built using those existing grids.

Ok.

Other things you might try:

1. Try a different gridding algorithm or settings: If A is 0 thickness in 3 holes but 2 thickness in 3 others, those thicknesses can still render the surfaces > 0 thickness if the gridding settings are looking at a lot of neighbors. Triangulation might work, or reduce the number of neighbors being used in Inverse Distance or Kriging.

Probably this is what happen to my grid files (>0 thickness).

I've tried the following grid algorithms: Inverse distance, Kriging (auto variogram) and finally I choosed polynomial.

I've also tried to reduce the numbers of neighbors as you suggested but probably I left more than I needed. I also insert some new BHs only to constrain the algorithm to meet my needs.

I will try to change the numbers of neighbors.

2. The Constrain Model based on Ground Surface option allows you to clip the stratigraphic surfaces with a grid representing the ground topography - helpful if you have a good topo grid and poor BH control (though that might not be the case for you).

It' s my case. I've a topographic map 1 m resolution. The BH are about 50 m/ 100 m far each other. I choose a 5m grid resolution, 0.1 vertical.

I set the Constrain Model based on Ground Surface on and also I correct the BH elevation based on my topo grid file with RCW utilities. I also checked each one and move the BH to anew location in order to get the right elevation.

3. The Grid menu's Filters / Limit program allows you to constrain one surface based on another.

I'll try this option.

4. The Grid menu's Filters / Polygon Clip program allows you to replace nodes in one grid inside or outside a polygon with the nodes of another grid.

I've my grid clipped by my boundary site.

I build a stratigraphy model called A.

Then I manually edit the grid files and build a new stratigraphy model called B without interpolating the grid files.

My question is: when I create a stratigraphy profile which is the model A or B rockworks uses if I do not check the interpolate surfaces?

How can I set the program to make the slice from the stratigraphy model A or B ?

Thank you.

Hi Daniele,

In the process of creating a stratigraphy model (regardless of the type of diagram you are creating - 3D display, section, profile, fence), RockWorks interpolates new (or reads existing) grid files for the top and base of each unit. If Interpolate Surfaces is checked, the program will create "fm1_top.grd", "fm1_base.grd", "fm2_top.grd", "fm2_base.grd" (and so on) grid models, for all units listed in the Stratigraphy Types table (where "fm1" and "fm2" are the actual formation names). If Interpolate Surfaces is turned off, it will just read those existing grid files from the project folder to build the diagram.

If you edit any of the GRD files and re-save them under their original names, those grids will be used for all subsequent diagrams (3D, profiles, sections, fences) if Interpolate Surfaces is turned off.

If you are referring to the Stratigraphy / Model / Save Numeric Model option, which is a means of saving an extra solid model (.MOD) version of the 3D surfaces, this process will be identical to the diagram process: If Interpolate Surfaces is on, the new grids will be used to populate the solid model, if Interpolate Surfaces is off, the existing grids will be used to build the MOD file.

It is important to understand that this optional Stratigraphy solid model is not displayed or used in any of the Stratigraphy menu programs - they all use the grid surfaces. (Actually, there is one exception: the Stratigraphy / Volumetrics (Based on Solid Model program.) Please see the discussion of Stratigraphy Models versus Stratigraphy Solids in Help / Contents / Reference / Solid Modeling Reference.

So, to answer your question, if you are creating a Stratigraphy / Profile diagram, and if Interpolate surfaces is turned off, Rockworks will simply use the existing grid surfaces ("fm1_top.grd", "fm1_base.grd", "fm2_top.grd", "fm2_base.grd" etc.) to build the profile diagram.

If you wish to keep and use different versions of the grid models, e.g. pre-editing and post-editing versions, that gets tricky because of the automatic naming process in RW. You could use Windows Explorer to copy and move GRD files to other folders for backup purposes, bit it's difficult to keep track of names and locations. Or you can use the Utilities Grid / Grids -> Stratigraphic Model to "hand-build" a 3D strat display of any grids you like. This process is also available for 3D fences, but not profiles.

If you wish to display a stratigraphy solid model as a profile, you'll need to do this via the Solid / Profile program in the Utilities - this isn't advisable since the diagram will look blocky and you need to use a table to assign the colors.

Hmmm, does this answer your question?

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

You hightlight the most important point to get the aspected behaviour from RCKW: "the Stratigraphy solid model is not displayed or used in any of the Stratigraphy menu programs - they all use the grid surfaces."

You answered my question.

Thank you for your quick replay.

Bye