RockWare Support Forum
RafaGalena

import borehole data

Hello!

I'm starting to work with Rockworks 2006 and I have to import borehole data from GMS 6.5 to use in this software.

I have an excel file, but I have no idea how to open it in rockworks. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance!

Rafaela

Hi Rafaela,

There is documentation about different Excel import tools/formats in the RockWorks2006 help file. Feel free to email the Excel sheet to our support staff (tech at rockware.com) and we can offer suggestions regarding import into RockWorks.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hello Rafaela,

I had the hardest time figuring out how to import excel files that I actually just gave up and did it individually. I haven't really looked at import methods, but what I have been doing seems to work very easily for me. If you have all your boreholes in excel, open up the file you saved your work in and there should be a Microsoft Access file there. If you open that, it has all the headings you have on the borehole manager tabs (Location, lithology, stratigraphy, etc.) If you open the location tabs in Access, it will have the "excel spreadsheet" look. If you have your excel data look like the access file (leave a lot of the stuff blank), you can paste it in pretty easily. As long as you paste work in to match what the access file looks like, you should have no problem. I usually highlight the whole line when I paste.

You can do this for stratigraphy and lithology as well, just put a 0 or -1 if you want it to be in the legend and add your info in. It really becomes useful when you have tons of data. I had over 5000 data sets to put into the p-data and doing this allowed me to import it all in 30 min.....quite effective. Send me an email if you like this idea and can't get it to work, I can add screenshots.

Hope this helps :D

Oskar.

Hello!

I'm starting to work with Rockworks 2006 and I have to import borehole data from GMS 6.5 to use in this software.

I have an excel file, but I have no idea how to open it in rockworks. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance!

Rafaela

An easy way to see the required input format for an Excel file -> RockWorks (2006, 14, 15) is to open an already-populated RockWorks database (e.g. the Samples project) and export all of its data to Excel. The export format is the same as the import format.

The Excel file structure will look a lot like the structure of our Access database, as Oskar describes. The benefit of using the Excel method is that you can list your actual Stratigraphy formation names (e.g. "sandstone") rather than numbers, actual I-Data parameter names (e.g. "toluene") rather than numbers, etc. Because our Access database contains linked tables - strat types to stratigraphy, i-data types to i-data, etc. - it's easy to mess up the relational structure, so just be careful editing the database itself.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hola

Tu base de datos puede funcionar perfectamente con la que tienes en GEMS para poder utilizarla en Rockworks, lo que puedes hacer es importar primero tu COLLAR es lo mismo que LOCATION, solo necesitas ir en Rockworks FILE/IMPORT XLS se abre un ventana nueva y tienes dos pestaƱas una se llama OPTIONS ahi seleccionas el archivo que quieres abrir y vas seleccionando lo mismo HOLE ID/NAME , X OR EASTH/EASTING Y OR NOTH/NORTHING , ELEVATION/ELEVATION, LENGHT/TOTAL DEPTH tienes que hacer que coincidan tus columnas con las pestaƱas del rockworks.

El SURVEY es ORIENTATION en rockworks tienes que hacer el mismo metodo de importacion.

I can help you in rockworks if you can help me en GEMS.

Regards