RockWare Support Forum
giso

eteropic formation

Hi Matteo,

Like Mitch, I am also new to the term "eteropic" but I'm guessing that you're referring to showing vertical facies changes. If the change is based on a single parameter (e.g. clay content), you can make a pseudo-continuous block/solid model of that parameter (stored as I-Data or P-Data) and truncate it (i.e. set the node values above and below the superface/subface) based on non-eteropic surfaces (see attached Figure 1). When you plot 3D models and create 2D cross-sections, you're essentially showing portions of two different models - a stratigraphic model (for the vertically homogeneous units) and a block model for the anisotropic parameter. Admittedly, this is not an exercise for beginners. Please let me know if this is what you had in mind, and if so, I'll create a step-by-step video and post it to YouTube.

Best regards,

Jim Reed.

post-9-073236900 1326908789_thumb.png

I am just thinking as I go here.

We can filter/limit surface grids in RockWorks with other grids (Utilities>Grid>Filters>Limit ...). No problem.

Stratigraphic (non block) models consist of many surface grids (top and bottom of each unit).

So, shouldn´t it be possible to limit a stratigraphic model to, for example, fault grids? Then make another stratigraphic model on the other side of the fault (limiting it the other way round).

I know this can be done using block models, be it a lithological or stratigraphic block model. I have just once ventured into these realms, but when I did I had a different RockWorks project for each part of the block model. That way you aren´t writing over all the different stratigraphic grids over and over if you are experimenting.

Then I just united the two models in RockPlot/3D (append).

I hope some of this makes sense and I bet Jim has a cooler solution.

Thank you all for your interest.

With geological term "eteropic" I mean a lateral variation of facies related to coeval sedimentary environments that, in relation to the physical conditions of the place and mode of formation have a different lithological facies and paleontological (s. picture attached).

Thank you.

modello sottosuolo.pdf

Thanks for the clarification and image - that helps a lot! We use the horizontal "lithoblending" for modeling these types of non-contigiuous units (e.g. transgressions/regressions). I'll attach some sample images. The catch is that the modeling is much slower than the stratigraphic or geochemical/geophysical modeling. There are also some tricks for adding regional dip and structures. For more information, search the help messages for "Lithologic Modeling".

post-9-035295700 1326991167_thumb.png

post-9-049294200 1326991288_thumb.png

post-9-059472700 1326991415_thumb.png