RockWare Support Forum
Joe

exporting borehole data to arcmap

Does anyone know how I can export my borehole data to ArcMap? I need it to overlie some road/infrastructure data.

Thanks!

Hi Joe,

One method to export borehole data is to create a borehole location map and export to a SHP file.

In RockWorks 15, choose the Borehole Manager Map | Borehole Locations menu command, specify yoursymbol and label options and other settings, then click the Process button to display the map. Choose the File | Export | ESRI Shapefiles menu command, specify settings, then click Process to create the SHP and associated files.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thanks Tom,

That worked pretty well except that my coordinate system isn't consistent with the GIS data I'm using.

The GIS data is NAD 84, and my RW15 data points are in UTM.

Does either software (ArcMap or RW15) convert from one to the other?

ArcMap can convert on the fly. You have to right click the layer (shpfile)>Properties and define the coordinate system it is in (WGS84 UTM for example).

I assume you have already defined the coordinate system for the whole project... (right click "Layers" > Properties > Coordinate System).

Hi Olafsson,

Thanks for responding about the coordinate conversion features in ArcMap.

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi

Do it manually, create the file with yout database for holes with east and noth elevation etc. An import in to arcmap display XY, and export to shape file and now you have the location points. And with rockworks create multi-log plan view and export to autocad and only keep the lines for the holes and import feature to line in arcmap.