RockWare Support Forum
Joe

Importing DEM

Hi. I've got a large data set of 211 Lidar-based DEM tiles covering several townships in Michigan for import to my project. My main concern is this: Do I have to import each tile separately or is there a means to import the whole set at once?

Second question: Which of the data files is appropriate for import? I understand that .adf files carry topo information, is there a certain file or file extension that contains the appropriate information?

Thanks!

Joe

Hi Joe,

- RockWorks does not have a method to import multiple DEM files at once, but you may be able to write a script to perform the task.

If you have a large amount of data, you may not have enough computer memory to load all the points.

- The question of whether a certain file extension contains DEM data is rather broad.

RockWorks can use the Utilities Grid | Lidar XYZ->Grid menu command to read LiDAR data from an ASCII text file of any extension and convert it to a RockWorks GRD file.

RockWorks also has the Utilities Grid | Import menu command for converting gridded data to a RockWorks GRD file. This command accepts the following extensions ASCII TXT (any extension), Bitmap BMP JPG EMF WMF PCX PNG TGA TIFF, Digital Elevation DEM, GeoSoft GXF, ESRI ASCIIGRID (often ASC), and Surfer GRD.

The ADF extension is not supported directly, so you may need to convert it using Global Mapper or Surfer. These programs support many additional gridded file formats, including AM AN* ASI BIL BIP BSQ CPS DIC DCM DDF DT* ECW ERS FLD FLT GIF 10G HDF HDR IMG RST INFO LAT PNM PPM PGM PBM RAW BIM RGB RGBA BW SID STK RAS SUN VTK X XIMG ZMAP ZYC ZYCOR BT DOS DTED G98 ZGF GMG GRI GRB HF2 HFZ MTX RST MEM LEM JP2 LAS TER MPR SID CLU NTF RIK MAP .

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

I like global mapper for working with Lidar It imports the LAS format that much of the data comes in and it can export grids as rockworks format. It will export a grid of all loaded data sets if desired. My question is, will rockworks add the capability to directly import LAS format lidar data sets and will support for the state plane projection system be developed. Here in Texas a lot of data is avaliable in Texas State plane NAD 83 feet. Counties and the local multi county regional planning agencies use that projection. That is where I get most of my lidar data. so I have to jump it thru a gis program to bring it into Rockworks

That's what I just had to do to convert .adf files into a grid that RockWorks would recognize. However, it's plotting as a point when I try to display the grid. I'm sure I've missed a scaling or border extent setting, any ideas?

Sounds like a mismatch of coordinates. I suspect your grid is in degrees while your project dimensions are in UTM.

Making progress. I've imported a grid that seems to be working, but I continue to experience scaling issues. The DEM I'm using is a publicly-available countywide model.

However, when I have RockWorks construct the model, it fits the entire county into the space defined by my original borehole extents. Is there a way to redefine my project dimensions to reflect the county borders (within which my boreholes fall), instead of scanning the boreholes and using those?

Thanks

Hi Joe,

You can type in the XY min max based on the county coordinates, and RockWorks will calculate the models based on those coordinates.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc