RockWare Support Forum
drcorrell

Plume Model

I am trying to create a 3d plume model of petroleum product on the surface of groundwater. I have the depth to top and depth to bottom of the product. I have no concentration data so I put a 1 for the value. I imported the data into I-data. I want to create a 3D model that shows the product thickness and extent of the product. I have created plume models before but they all had concentrations of VOCs or whatever to each well. The only data I have for this model is whether product was present and how thick the product was. My goal is to then create sections out of the 3d model and append to lithology cross sections I have already created. Thank you for your help.

Archive000.zip

Hi drcorrell,

One way to model this type of data is to enter the top and base of the product in the Water Levels table, and model the top and base with the Aquifer | Model menu command. You can create sections through the model and append lithology sections.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi Donovan,

You may want to add zero thickness Product depths at the top of the water table to the wells that don't have product. Otherwise, the aquifer model will treat those wells without product the same as points without any data, possibly extrapolating product into those areas.

In addition, you can manipulate the aquifer GRD files in the Utilities Grid | Filters | Limit menu. RockWorks does not have any automatic tools to prevent the upper and lower grid surfaces from crossing (ref: Onlap in the Stratigraphy model), but the Grid | Filters | Limit tools let you constrain one grid by another grid.

Tom B

RockWare Inc