RockWare Support Forum
csanders

Stereonets

I have a questions reguarding using stereonets with RockWorks. I can plot the strike and dips as poles or planes. And I can determine the best fit great circle to these poles, however, I need the pole to the best fit great circle. Is there a way to plot this with the program? I am not successful in creating layers in the stereonet projection layer, is there a reason for this or how can I fix this problem?

Thank you.

There isn't any option to plot the Best-Fit Great Circle as a pole. A workaround would be to display the Statistical Summary where you can get the Azimuth and Plunge and make a separate plot of just the pole. You can then append this plot to your original stereonet. If you're just plotting poles in your data set another option option would be to just add the Azimuth and Plunge to your current data set and replot.

I'm not sure what problem your having with layers. Perhaps you could describe what you're trying to do and what's not happening. It might also help to know which version of RockWorks you're using.

Thanks for the response. I appriciate the help. I am using RockWorks/15 complete-Revision 2011.1.27 I was able to use the statistics to determine the azimuth and plunge of the great circle however, I cannot just add the azimuth and plunge to my current data as it will change the best fit great circle. I need to show the poles to the plane, the best fit great circle and the fold axis (or pole to the best fit great circle). I also have not been able to create layers successfully. I can add a new layer but I cannot edit what is on it, all I can seem to do it change the name of the layer. Is there any way to stack multiple stereonets? Then I could have one stereonet with my original data and one with the azimuth and plunge of the best fit line and its pole.

Thank you.

There isn't any option to plot the Best-Fit Great Circle as a pole. A workaround would be to display the Statistical Summary where you can get the Azimuth and Plunge and make a separate plot of just the pole. You can then append this plot to your original stereonet. If you're just plotting poles in your data set another option option would be to just add the Azimuth and Plunge to your current data set and replot.

I'm not sure what problem your having with layers. Perhaps you could describe what you're trying to do and what's not happening. It might also help to know which version of RockWorks you're using.

Plot your Best-Fit pole in another window and use File/Append. It will probably be easier if you turn off the circle and all annotation. Another option is to just select the pole in your new plot and use copy and paste to add it to your stereonet.

Items can be moved to another layer individually from their Properties dialog (right click/Properties) or multiply using menu Layer/Change Layer or right click/Change Layer.