RockWare Support Forum

Export to Point Shapefile

alice

Hello!

I am trying to display the 3D subsoil models created in rockworks in arc scene - the easiest way i can think to do this is to export the model to an ESRI point shapefile - but this file only contains the Z values of the data and no lithology data!! why?!

In the picture attached to the help about ESRI point shapefile export - the point file seems to have a legend displaying values which i hope are the lithology values!

How can i export both the z-values and the lithology?

Thank you!

Alice

Alice,

RockWork's models are always number values whether they're Lithology, Geochemistry or something else. For each point in your Shape file you should have am X, Y, Z and G value. The G Value is the same number that's is assigned to a Keyword in your Lithology Types table. Use this value to assign your symbols in ArcGIS.

Hi Alice,

That's not a raster, but a Lithology (voxel) model which was exported from RockPlot3D: In RP3D, with the Lithology model displayed, choose File | Export | ESRI Shape. Then, in ArcScene, you can use the Add Data command to add the exported Shapefile as a layer in the current scene. It originally opens into ArcScene with a single color, but you can use the Properties / Symbology / Categories to scan for the Values in the model and assign colors.

Let me know if you need additional information about this process.

Thanks,

Molly

RockWare Inc.

Molly-

I am exporting a 3d Litho model as a layer, however, I have noticed that there are no data in the (value) G-value field when I export the model. Am I missing something? I tried to paste the jpeg into this post to no avail, needless to say, the values are all reading 0.

thanks in advance-

-joe k

Hi Joe,

Hmmm, not sure. If you do a summary report in RockWorks of the lithology MOD file you exported (using the Solid | Statistics | Report menu option), what is the range of G values in the model?

Feel free to zip and send me (by email) the lithology MOD file you created in RockWorks are are trying to open in ArcScene, and I'll have a look. Please also specify in your email the revision of RockWorks you are using, as displayed at the top of the program window.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

molly@rockware.com

Molly-

The Node values (G-value) are between 1.0 and 10.0 according to the report (see attached) I am running RW 15, Revision 2010.7.2. I did notice that I can update that, which I will shortly, but I am thinking that may not help.

I reran the model making sure that I had the volumetrics tab toggled on and still no G-values. do you want me to send you the shapefile or the LithMod file?

thanks-

-joe

LithReport.txt

Hi Joe,

I would definitely update your version (steps below), try exporting the Shapefile again, and see if the problem still exists. If it does please ZIP and email me the "Lith02.mod" file you're working with.

To download the latest version of RockWorks15, please follow these steps:

1. Click on this link:

http://www.rockware.com/assets/products/165/product_demo/100/rockworks15_installation.exe

2. Save the file to your local computer (e.g. desktop).

3. When the download has completed, you can run the installation. Do not uninstall the existing RockWorks first.

4. When the installation has completed, you can start up the RockWorks15 program.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.