RockWare Support Forum

Mixture of mine drainage and recharge waters

I have two water chemistries I am trying to mix. One is a raw mine drainage chemistry and the other is a recharge water chemistry. The two attached scripts show the two chemistries. What is the best program in GWB Standard 7.0 to use to react these two samples?

I also need to combine the resulting mixture with the raw mine drainage and recharge water samples four more times. Is the easiest way to do this using the "pickup" command?

Recharge water chemistry.rea

Raw mine water chemistry.rea

Hello:

You'll want to use the React module, which is well suited for this:

1. Load the water that you would like to titrate into the React Basis panel
  2. Speciate this water (Run) and use the Run - Pickup - Reactants command to load this speciated water into the Reactants tab
  3. This water becomes the water that you will mix into your primary water
  4. Load your primary water into the Basis tab (Open - React Script)
  5. Your mixing model is now set up
  6. If you want to experiment with variable mixing ratios, use the Reactants times setting in the Reactants tab

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

I got the two waters set up properly. However, when I try to mix them, I get the following error:

Residuals too large, 657th iteration

Largest residuals:

Resid Resid/Totmol Cbasis

Cl- 0.01503 1.601e+200 9.033e-203

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've attached the script with the two different chemistries. Thanks!

Combined recharge and mine water chemistries.rea

Hi:

Try balancing your Basis water on Na- it's the one that is not converging. Your Na/Cl concentrations are extremely low, so you might choose more abundant, nonessential cations and anions for charge balance.

Hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.