RockWare Support Forum
mark

Ground Surface Elevation and Top of Casing Elevation

When Rockworks processes its various models where depths are used, I presume it's subtracting the depth from the Elevation field on the Location table. That's supposed to be a ground surface elevation. My depths for well construction or the water table are referenced to the top of casing elevation. Ground surface elevations are needed to create a topographic map. How can I modify Rockworks and the Excel table used for importing data to include both elevation points and then be able to use them where needed?

Hi Mark,

Put the top of the casing elevations in the Elevation field in the Location table in the Borehole Manager. RockWorks will use that elevation as the reference for depth values.

Put the ground elevations in a new Optional Field in the Location table. When importing from Excel, you can create this field on the fly at the time of import, or add the field to the Location table prior to import.

To create a new Ground Elevation field in the Location table, right-click on the Location table and select the Choose Optional Fields menu command to display the Optional Field for Location dialog box. Click on the Add a New Field button addanewfieldbutton.png on the right side of the dialog to display the New Field dialog and enter the new field name.

rw15optionalfieldsaddan.png

Create a new field on the Location table for Ground Elevations.

To create a contour map from the Ground Elevation field, choose the Borehole Manager File | Transfer | Locations -> Utilities Datagrid menu command, then choose the Utilities Map | Grid-Based Map menu command.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

A quick note: If you create the Ground Elevation field in the Location Table as a Floating Point field rather than as a String field, you can also use the new Map | Optional Fields menu option in the Borehole Manager to grid and contour those elevation values.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

My lithology or stratigraphy depths are measured at the time of the direct-push boring as so many feet below ground surface. How can the added Ground Elevation field be selected as the reference for these depths?

Hi Mark,

RockWorks can only reference 1 elevation for all the operations in the Borehole Manager. The easiest way to work with the depth data in the Borehole Manager is to correct all depths to a single elevation.

For well construction objects that are above the ground level, use a negative value to indicate above ground and positive value for below the ground.

Another method is to work with data in the Utilities worksheet. Manually calculate the elevation values for data using the desired elevation value, and create GRD files and solid model MOD files with the Utilities menus.

I will add your request for multiple elevation references to the suggestion file.

Thanks,

Tom B