RockWare Support Forum

How to import data into rockworks

alice

Hello -

I am working on a script which will hopefully automatically process out CPT and borehole data into a format readable by rockworks.

Currently all of our borehole and CPT data is in .GEF format (standard in the netherlands). Does anyone have any recommendations as to which import format would be the easiest for us to transform our data into? Currently we use excel tables.

There is an option for importing Fugro CPTS (we are the netherlands branch of Fugro) but i am unfamiliar with this format as stupid as it sounds..!

I was also wondering if there is a way in rockworks to edit interpretation of CPTs?

Thank you! I am having a difficult time find any of this data on the internet or in the help or anything!

Alice,

You can find an example of the Fugro CPT file in the My Documents/RockWorks15 Data/Samples directory that is installed with the program. The file is called fugro_cpt_01.out. If you are not able to create a file like this, then there are a number of options for importing the data into RockWorks.

The Excel and ASCII import formats available through the File menu are described quite thorougly in the Help files, and would be a good option if you want to combine all of the data for a project (location, p-data and lithology) into a single file for import. For these import options, the P-Data is listed with the following columns: Bore, Type, Depth, Value. The data should be sorted by Borehole, Type and then Depth.

If it would be easier to get your P-Data into more of a spreadsheet format, then you might consider first creating a project with just the Location and Lithology information (using the Excel or ASCII import format), and then using the P-Data --> Import tool to import a CSV or XLS file containing P-Data. For this type of import, the program would be expecting a Borehole and Depth column along with additional columns for different types of measured P-Data values.

Please let me know if you have questions about this. If you run into problems with the import process, you are welcome to send some examples of your files to tech@rockware.com so that we can determine if they need to be reformatted.

Best Regards,

Alison

Thank you Alison,

I was also wondering if there was a way of editing the data once you have imported it into rockworks?

Would importing LAS files be the same as importing the Fugro CPT files - we just have to get our .gef files into .las format?

Thanks again!

You can certainly change the values by hand once they are imported into RockWorks. LAS files contain a little bit more information than the Fugro files, so the import would be more involved. If you are just trying to import curves, then you could do a batch import of LAS files, while the Fugro import would have to be one hole at a time.

Keep in mind that when doing the batch LAS import, the program only imports curves and the name of the hole, which is stored in the header of the LAS file.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Alison