RockWare Support Forum

Cross sections

JosephECM

I have been in the process of creating some cross sections using RW-14. The sections will be presented in a report, so they needed to be "cleaned up", so I exported them into AutoCAD. To my dismay, all the solid colors are exported in small triangular/ polygonal hatch's and the patterns are imported as separate poly lines in CAD. This makes simple editing a monumental task.

I'm wondering if there are any easier/ quicker ways to clean up and add other elements(contaminant hatches) to the cross sections? AutoCAD is our standard platform that we use for site plans, etc, but the RW platform doesn't seem to translate very directly to CAD. Are there any other software options that would help me to create these editable cross sections faster?

I think that most of our customers have figured out a good workflow for adding their own hatches and/or color fills to cross-sections that have been created in RockWorks. The "Seperate" layering option should allow you to use the color fill and/or pattern layers as a guide to select multiple polygons at one time and add the color or hatches to them all at one time. The layers can then be deleted or disabled.

If this process doesn't work for you, have you considered making the edits in RockPlot2D itself? You can then assing the appropriate colors and patterns to any new polygons .that you've drawn in the sections

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other cross-section tools that include AutoCAD hatches in their DXF export. gINT allows you to load AutoCAD hatches into their program, but I don't think it contains actual hatches in the DXF export (it has been a few years since I looked at this, so I could be wrong about the functionality of the current version). However, gINT doesn't do any of the automatic interpolation that RockWorks does (it just plots striplogs).

I think this is the ticket. Next time around I will just export solid colors w/o any pattern fills, then trace over them creating a closed polyline and fill with patterns in CAD.

Thanks Dlattuada

I export the cross-section in DXF format with the "Separate" flag on in the Layers option.

In Autocad I edit/create a polyline for each stratigraphy level, fill it with hatch and paste the original style.

DLattuada