RockWare Support Forum
JosephECM

Auto CAD patterns?

I created some nice cross sections in Rockworks 14, and exported them to AutoCAD LT 2009. I am having a problem with the pattern fills that I created in RW, not being recognized as a custom hatch in CAD? I found the file in the RW System folder called rw_pat.pat, which I thought would be the various patter hatches, but it won't open in CAD?

Andy ideas on how I can import some of these patterns into CAD, so I can make the fine tuning adjustments that are necessary?

Unfortunately, hatches are not part of the DXF export from RockWorks. The PAT file is a binary file used by RockWorks only, and does not contain any reference to AutoCAD hatch patterns.

When you export the DXF, I would recommend that you export the file with the "Seperate" option selected under "Layers". This will put the the patterns (which are just exported as a bunch of lines and points) into a layer that you can turn off.

All of the shapes that represent boreholes and stratigraphic correlations in RockWorks are exported as closed polylines, and you should be able to add your own hatches to these if the patterns exported by RockWorks do not look the way you want to look.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Alison

Alison Alcott

RockWare, Inc.

Hi Joseph,

Per our phone conversation:

Unfortunately, the RockWorks PAT files are not the same format as the AutoCAD PAT files. Here are some tools to compare our patterns with the 100+ Hatch Patterns for AutoCAD.

Here are some RockWorks and LogPlot patterns for USCS soil types.

uscspatrw.png

RockWorks and LogPlot USCS Patterns

http://www.rockware....p_pats_keys.zip

Here is screen shot of the 100+ USCS patterns for AutoCAD.

100plususcspatterns.png

100+ USCS Hatch Patterns for AutoCAD

If you can make the editing changes in the RockPlot/2D display window, then you will have the RockWorks patterns available for polygon fills.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

I am able to open it when I do a new download from the link above.

You may want to try it saving the ZIP file and opening it.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom I got the .pat files, but they are not opening up in CAD? Any ideas? In CAD I go to options, then support file search path, and add the path where I saved the .pat files. Then I go to hatch, and look in the custom dialogue box and I can see the .pat files there, but they error out when I try to select them.

Is this the same process you used to import the .pat files to your CAD?

The ZIP file has patterns for RockWorks and LogPlot. They are not meant for AutoCAD.

The 100+ Hatch Patterns are made for AutoCAD.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Ok, I thought that those .pat files would work for AutoCAD? I wonder where I can get the patterns that will match up with the RW patterns?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You can use the RockWorks pattern editor to make some patterns for RockWorks and LogPlot that match the 100+ Hatch patters in AutoCAD .

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc