RockWare Support Forum

automating selection of cross section scalebar attributes

Lara

I would like to be able to change the default settings used for several of the cross section scalebar attributes (number of decimal places, label orientation, tick size, value intervals) that are automatically generated when a cross section is created in RW15 so that I do not have to manually edit every scale bar for every cross section I create.

Is there a way to do this before the cross sections are created or alternatively to batch process them after creation? Would this require the use of RCL script and if so can you please point me to any script libraries focusing on scalebar attributes that I could use to get started?

thank you.

Hi Lara,

All of the cross-section annotation settings are established in the Perimeter Annotation Options window... this would include font size, automatic/manual label intervals, tick size, etc. Once you establish the settings in this dialog box, they should carry over to other cross section diagrams that you create in the current project. In other words, once you get the look that works, you should be good to go for other sections.

You can also define the settings via RCL commands, if you intend to create your sections via scripts. In the cross section window, click on the Menu menu at the top of the window and select Show RCL. When prompted if you want to see a limited view, choose No. In the resulting RCL settings list - which will be lengthy - look for the Perimeter Annotation Options grouping. The current dialog settings should be reflected in this listing.

If you're having trouble finding good settings to use, feel free to send me your data: select the Project | Achive Database to ASCII menu command and email me the resulting ZIP file. Please be specific about what's not working for you. I'm also happy to answer scripting (RCL) questions if that's helpful.

Thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

molly@rockware.com

Thank you Molly, this is what I was looking for. However, in Perimeter Annoation Options, I don't see settings for scalebar label orientation (ie, perpendicular or parallel) or scalebar decimal places shown. Is there a way to preset those?

Also, once I tune these settings, are they saved with the project or do I need to save them separately to have them available next time I reopen the project?

Thanks!

Hi Lara,

I'm sorry - I should have read your original posting more carefully. The label orientation and the decimals are two attributes of the axis scalebars which are not definable via the dialog or via RCL - they are hardwired to parallel and to automatic decimals. (We've had to hardwire some of RockWorks' 20 bazillion settings.) The only option would be to manually edit the characteristics in RockPlot2D. Unfortunately, since those settings are diagram-specific, the next section will be created using the menu settings.

I'll add the ability to modify these settings to our wish-list.

There may be a way to make this manual-editing easier, though, depending on what you are actually doing in the program. Could you email me samples of the sections you are creating (the RK6 files) and I'll have a look?

thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

molly@rockware.com