RockWare Support Forum

Rock Quality Designation (RQD)

Guest Olafsson

Guest Olafsson

Hi,

I have a few boreholes where rock quality designation (RQD) of the core has been done.

The data looks like this:

% of core unfractured for 10cm/30cm/50cm/100cm/150cm/200cm

So what I have is a lithological section of a borehole where a RQD of 68/58/42/26/0/0 (for example) is defined.

I would like to make a 3d lithology model/stratigraphy model and be able to filter it using the RQD.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Olafsson

Hi Olafsson,

If you can enter your RQD data by depth interval into the I-Data table, you can then create a solid model of the RQD percentages. (I-Data | Model)

Then, filter that model for nodes that meet your RQD requirements, creating a Boolean (true/false) version of the RQD model. This Boolean model simply stores values of "1" for nodes that meet your requirements, or "0" for those that do not. (Utilities Solid | Boolean Operations | Boolean Conversion option.)

You can then multiply this true/false model with a lithology model or a stratigraphy model. The lith/strat nodes that whose corresponding RQD nodes = 1 will pass unchanged. Those nodes whose corresponding RQD nodes = 0 will be zeroed out. (Solid | Math | Model & Model). It's important that the models being multiplied have the same dimensions, both overall extents and node spacing.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.