RockWare Support Forum
Joe

Static Water Levels in Unconfined Aquifer and Multiple Dates for Point/Interval Data

I'm interested in entering water level data for a series of boreholes. The bores are part of an ongoing groundwater project, so I have multiple water levels listed by date. I am using Rockworks 2006, and the excel format is appropriate for listing multiple dates, so that is not an issue. However, my aquifers are unconfined. Is it appropriate to use the static water level for "Depth 1" and the depth to bedrock for "Depth 2"?

I am also interested in modeling changing contaminant concentration levels in each borehole. I have a large dataset of concentration data with respect to the date of sampling, and I'd like my model to reflect those. However, the excel format for Point and Interval data doesn't seem to allow for multiple dates. Is there some way to work around this apparent limitation?

Thanks!

Hi Joe - Since you're probably only going to deal with the upper surface of the aquifer, the depth to base can certainly be set to bedrock to illustrate the total extent. Some users even set the depth to base = depth to top, so that the program just generates the single (top) surface when creating the aquifer model. It mostly depends on what you want to see when you create the model or cross section... a single surface, or the entirety of the aquifer down to the bedrock.

In RockWorks2006 we did not have date-specific interval data tables (which we now do in RockWorks15). The work-around would be to create a separate I-Data column for the component and the date (Benzene Aug, Benzene Sep, Benzene Oct, etc.) and then just pick which column to model. This is workable if you don't have too many components or too many discrete date groupings. If it seems unworkable, you might consider upgrading to RockWorks15 which has a T-Data (or Time Intervals) table which offers a depth1, depth2, date, and then the component columns. You can create your T-Data models for a specific date or date range.

hope this helps.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Thanks for the reply, I was working through your idea to test its feasibility with respect to my dataset and have the following question: When you say I would create a separate I-data column for the component and date, are you saying I would replace the "Type" column with multiple types and their corresponding date ranges? That is, the spreadsheet I'm working has the following headings, as required by the software: Bore, Type, Depth-1, Depth-2, Value. Are you suggesting I replace the "Type" column with several columns headed "Dioxane 1980", "Dioxane 1981", etc., and then direct the software to model specific columns?

Thanks again,

Joe

Hi Joe,

The Excel file would have the same structure as you list: Bore, Type, Depth-1, Depth-2, Value. It's in the Type column that you define the different components for the different dates. Example:

Bore Type Depth-1 Depth-2 Value

DH-1 Dioxane-1980 0 1 0.1

DH-1 Dioxane-1980 1 2 0.5

(etc.)

DH-1 Dioxane-1981 0 1 0.3

DH-1 Dioxane-1981 1 2 0.6

(etc.)

DH-2 Dioxane-1980 0 1.5 0.2

DH-2 Dioxane-1980 1.5 2.5 0.3

(etc.)

DH-2 Dioxane-1981 0 1.5 0.3

DH-2 Dioxane-1981 1.5 2.5 0.4

and so on.

What you'd then see in the T-Data Table in the borehole manager is:

(For DH-1)

TopDepth BaseDepth Dioxane-1980 Dioxane-1981 (etc.)

(excuse the dots)

(Again, this is much easier in RockWorks15 and the new Time-Data table; the Dioxane measurements would be in one column but with different dates.)

Let me know if you have add'l questions.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hi Molly:

I was looking into RW15, but the free demo download is freezing up almost immediately upon startup. No issues like that with RK2006, any ideas?

Hi Joe,

If you are on a 64-bit operating system, there seems to be a problem with the Help window freezing the program. (See Forum topic https://www.rockware.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1633 which addresses this). We'll be posting a new build today, if possible, which will make RockWorks default to a non-modal window style. In the meantime, you can follow the steps outlined in that topic to disable the automatic display of the help window first, then launch the program and change the menus to non-modal. Then you should be good to go.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know if you have add'l questions.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.