RockWare Support Forum
ChrisO

modelling stratigraphy from a few boreholes and surface mapping

Hi everybody,

i think this could be of interest for other people as well.

I have to plan a powerhouse cavern for an hydroelectric project. In the area i have only 5(!, spaced hundreds of meters) core drillings, but a more or less detailed gelogical surface mapping. When i use the stratigraphy model from the wells, RockWorks calculates the top surfaces very nicely. But the powerhouse cavern is located BELOW the end depth of the wells and OUTSIDE the area delimited by the wells. The stratigraphy is quite simple, i have metamorphic bedrock (in which the cavern is located), covered by alluvial soil. Surface topographic data are available as DXF.

My question is if i can define some "fake" boreholes, say 1 meter deep in spots where the bedrock outcrops, to give RockWorks more control points to interpolate the bedrock surface? Further, if i do so, what method shall i use to calculate the top surface of bedrock? Additionally, there is a fault in the area, delimiting the contact of the metamorphic rock to an granite batholite, which i would like to model in same way, by fake boreholes, is it possible?

Thanks a lot and wish you a nice day!

Cristian

Hi Cristian,

You can add more data points from your outcrops. RockWorks calls them boreholes but they can be any kind of data, including surface outcrops, measured sections, and trenches.

The best gridding method depends on your data. Start with Inverse Distance, then try other methods if Inverse Distance is not satisfactory. Increase your Project Dimensions to include the location of the powerhouse cavern.

Faults can be included when gridding. Draw the fault polyline in RockPlot/2D, then right-click on it and choose the Save to Faults Table menu command. When gridding the data with the Inverse Distance algorithm, add a check mark to the Faulted option, and specify the name of the Fault Table.

Faults act as barriers to the gridding process. With sufficient data, gridding will produce discontinuities along the line of the fault.

Refer to the Defining Fault Lines help topic for more information about this method and other methods for creating a fault table and gridding with faults.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare, Inc.