RockWare Support Forum
Vladimir Lobaev

Z-value in I-data modelling

Hi everybody,

1. I would like to find out precisely what does z-value mean (stupid question, but excuse me)? Is it corresponds exactly to the ppm/wt.% in my I-data sheets or it corresponds to some other modelled units because there are different range of values I have?

Could I label this legend with the same unit labels or no?

2. Next question is could I set Z-values before section modelling. I mean that for example I want to get redox model, which is in my Stratigraphy section couldn't give me any correlation because of very complex structure and multiple intersections. I have four types: 1_Ox, 2_Ox, 1_Rd, 2_Rd, which are labeled within the I-data tables as 1, 2, 3, 4 values. After I-data modelling I want to get same precise values - 1, 2, 3, 4 with correspond colors, but each time program give me values from 1.5 to 3.7 or something like this. So, is it possible to see redox model as I want to do as any I-data element distribution within the frame of the section or no?

Thank you for help.

Cheers

Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

1a. If you are creating an I-Data model and specify a particular track, RockWorks models the values in that track without regard to the units of the values.

1b. You can get a different range in the model than what is seen in the data with several of the modeling algorithms, depending on the settings that you choose. How does the model range differ from what you expect?

1c. In RockPlot/2D, choose the Draw | Point Types | Text menu command to add text with units information to the Legend. In RockPlot/3D, add the units to the Name of the legend. By default, the legend title is taken from the name of the I-Data track used for the model. In the Object Manager to the left of the diagram, right-click on the legend title and choose the Edit Title menu command.

2. Most of the solid modeling algorithms are designed to calculate gradational values between data points. To model values used for classification purposes, choose the Closest Point algorithm. With this algorithm, all values will be integers if your data values are all integers.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thank you for your reply, Tom.

It is very clear for the question number 1, but it doesn't answer. I just repeat to understand: for example, I use for I-data model Mn content in ppm. Yes, after modelling I could see any range of values, but will it correct to put to this range label "Mn, in ppm" or no?

For question number 2: thank you so much. I have done the same, but unfortunately for my data using the closest point algorithm do not give quite interesting results and for all other I-data I use Inverse distance weighting algorithm with dominant horizontal weighting exponent.

So, anyway thank you so much.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

1. If your data are Mn ppm, then it is correct to put that information in the legend.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc