RockWare Support Forum
Olafsson

Model lithology from surface cutting planes?

Hello.

I need your help on how to proceed to make a geological model based on the data I have.

I have a DXF file with surface contours exported from Microstation. This I can import into RockPlot/3D.

The geology is simple; flat slightly inclining basalts. These were modeled in Microstation as planes defined by a few points:

EG_AN1-4 718604 538054 282

EG_AN1-4a 715174 538054 0

EG_AN1-4b 716889 533342 0

EG_AN1-4c 718604 532974 130

EG_AN1-4d 721264 532349 330

EG_AN1-4e 719188 538054 330

This is the top of layer EG_AN1-4. I only have the tops of the layers.

There are no boreholes in the area and this is all based on surface mapping.

As you can see on the image (http://flickr.com/gp/bogulo/MsKyuZ) the planes cut the surface.

What is the most efficient method to put all of this into RockWorks as lithology or stratigraphy? This probably must be done with made-up boreholes, but how exactly?

Regarding the DXF surface: What is the best way to convert this 300mb monster into a GRD file?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ólafsson

Hi Ólafsson,

If you're basalts are all flat lying you can use the Trend Polynomial 1st Order in Utilities/Map/Grid Based Map to turn them into grids. You can then build a Stratigraphic model with the surfaces using Utilities/Grids/Grids->Stratigrphic Model. Keep in mind that all the grid surfaces need to have the same dimensions.

To convert your DXF to a grid surface import the DXF into the Utilities Spreadsheet and then use Utilities/Map/Grid Based Map with the Closest Point algorithm. The grid won't exactly match the original but should be close.

Mitch

OK. Thank you for your answer. I indeed imported the surfaces using the Trend Polynomial 1st Order. I am as we speak converting the DXF to a grid surface using the Kriging algorithm and around 10 neighboring points. RockWorks has been working for it for 42 hours and is at 50% (!!!).

I was not able to import the DXF into the Utilities Spreadsheet though, as I always got an error message. What I did was that I opened the DXF in RockPlot/3D and exported it from thar in DXF as well. In Utilities/Map/Grid Based Map I was then able to reference to that file as the original DXF did not work.

Kriging can be slow, especially with a very large number of points, and I'm not sure the results will be any better than closest point. There is a decimation for the DXF Import that would allow you to reduce the number of points.