RockWare Support Forum
Dejan

solid model to grid model

You should be able to create a grid that includes the elevation of the upper most “clay” in each column of voxels by following the steps below.

They require that you have the following:

• A lithology MOD file

• A GRD file that contains your ground surface elevations

1. Convert your solid model to a Boolean model by going to Solid --> Boolean Operations --> Boolean Conversion. Your input model will by your lithology model. The Boolean output model should have a unique name such as “Clay_Boolean.mod. For the upper and lower thresholds, specify the g-value assigned to clay in the lithology types table. This will create a new model composed of 1s in voxels that were “clay” in your original model, and 0s in voxels that were assigned other material types.

2. Go to Solid --> Convert --> Overburden Thickness -> Grid. The “Surface Grid” should be your ground surface grid, and the Boolean model should be the “Clay_Boolean.mod” file created in step 1. Name your Output Grid something like “Depth_to_Clay.grd”.

3. Go to Grid --> Math --> Grid and Grid Math. Model A should be your ground surface grid and Model B should be the Depth_to_Clay.grd file created in step 2. Operation should be Subtraction. Name the output grid (Model C) something like: Clay_Elevation.grd.

If you have problems with these steps, it would be helpful if I could take a look at you MOD and GRD files. You can send them to me at [email protected]

Regards,

Alison Alcott

RockWare, Inc.

Alison,

first thanks for really fast reply! It looks like that it is going to work now. Your instructions were really helpful.

I have one more question. for example you have three layers of clay on a different altitude and different xy, is it possible to seperate them in the solid model and to make for each one new grid?

once more, thanks for your help

regards, Dejan

Hi Dejan,

I'm sorry for the delayed response - I did not realize that you had posted a second question. Isolating lower clay units could be pretty tricky. If you can differentiate them in your database, then you might considering assigning different material types (for example: clay1, clay2, clay3) to the layers in your database and recreating the model. This way, the voxels value for each layer will be different.

If this isn't possible, then you will have to isolate each clay layer in seperate model before running the steps above (by assigning null values or 0s to the clay voxels above the specific clay layer you are trying to isolate). This could be done using horizontal GRD files if the layers are fairly flat. You can create horizontal GRD files at user specific elevations through the Grid --> Initialize program. You could then use the Solid --> Filters --> Grid Filter tools to assign null values (or non-clay values) to the voxels above a certain level.

If you need to isolate a layer in the xy direction, then perhaps the polygon filtering tool would work?

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Alison