RockWare Support Forum
cengiz

3D shapefile importing to RockPlot3D

Dear My Friends,

As ESRI Turkey, we have decided to use Rockworks 15 and Rockworks GIS Links. These are the best modeling softwares. We have been downloaded the installed the trial software and evaluating... Really good softwares with ESRI...

My Friends,

I would like to ask the developers of Rockworks software. Please could you add an ability to import 3D shapefiles to Rockplot3D ? There are a few softwares which has this ability. It takes the software to the top. If Rockworks can import the 3D shapefile and show it as a extruded feature (for example, in Z direction extruded buildings...), it will absolutely the best. I would like to see it in next versions, really...

This is a dream of a hydrogeologist,

Thanks and best wishes from ESRI Turkey,

Cengiz,

Thank you for the compliments Cengiz.

I'll add importing ESRI Shapefiles to our wishlist but you should also be able to export your Shapefiles to DXF which RockPlot3D can currently import.

Mitch,

Thanks for your quick reply. I meant that we have to apply 3D features like 3d extruded buildings on RockPlot3D. It gives us most reliable visualization and interpretation options.

Thanks,

Cengiz,

Have you looked at the Surface Objects program? You can find it on the Grafix/3D-Utilities menu. It uses a text based file to add 3D buildings, tanks, polygons and roads to a 3D scene in RockPlot3D. There's sample file (a3dgl_01.txt) in the Samples folder.

Hi Mitch,

Yes, you have right. We have tools on Grafix/3D-Utilities menu for 3D features, but it gives continiously error and rockworks crashes. I am using the last compilation. In ESRI Turkey, we are creating too many 3D Shapefiles by using photogrammetric solutions on ArcMap. So that, ı requested direct import option.

Thanks and best wishes from ESRI Turkey,

Cengiz,

Looks great!

With formatted text files it can be easy to make simple mistakes and hard to debug. Is it possible that your text file was in UNICODE? RockWork's only uses ANSI based text files. If you want you can email me (or attach it to this thread) one of your building and road files and I'll take a look at it.

I'm not aware of how ESRI implements the extruded buildings but I don't think that the extrusion is included in the Shape files.