RockWare Support Forum
Dejan

background of lithoblending

Hi!

I have one question. could you please explane to me how the lithoblending works? what is the theory of that algorithm? for example I am searching a simmilar explanation like it is here for kriging: http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/land/oldstudentprojects/cs490-94to95/clang/kriging.html .

I would like to know a bit of background of this method.

and another question, for making a lithological model, are there avaible only lithoblending and closest point or can I use some other methods such as Kiriging or IDW?!

many thanks for the anwsers!

Greetings,

Dejan

Hi Dejan,

Lithoblending is explained in the RockWorks help topic Horizontal Lithoblending Solid Modeling. To paraphrase the topic, lithoblending is a nearest neighbor algorithm with the search restricted to the horizontal XY plane surrounding the model node being calculated.

One way to use Inverse Distance or Kriging to calculate a lithology solid model, enter the data as percentages in the I-Data table.

Using the G value for the lithology does not work well with Inverse Distance or Kriging since the G value is a classification value, and intermediate values are not always meaningful. For example, if limestone is a 2, shale is a 4, and sandstone is a 6, and you have two wells with limestone (2) in one and sandstone (6) in the other, half-way between the two wells would calculate a value of (6+2)/2 = 4. In other words, half way between a sandstone and a limestone should not indicate that you have shale.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

There's a good explanation with pictures in the help file. Search for "Horizontal Lithoblending" and select the "Horizontal Lithoblending Solid Modeling" topic. If that doesn't answer your questions let us know.