RockWare Support Forum

"Shape" files

DaleDailey

There are a couple of ways to do this. In RW15, there is a new option in the Grafix>3D utilities that will create a fault curtain from polylines that represent structure contours on a fault surface. So if you are now using RW15, can create a couple of polyline files that represent contours, you can create a surface that can be used for visualization in R3D. In RW14, I have used the import function in Rockplot 3D to import a DXF of the fault plane. You can specify the elevation at which to import the line; so what I have done is do the DXF import of the same feature several times specifying different elevations, so you end up with a series of lines stacked vertically to represent the fault location.

Thanks for your quick reply...is there a way to create a spacially correct/georeferenced DXF file? Can RW15 handle georeferenced files better than RW14? It's very important that the files be as spacially accurate as possible. Also, if I create a graphic/dxf file that is significantly larger than the model i'm going to use, will the model still be able to process it (e.g. if I were to make a graphic of the San Andreas fault, but only do a lithology model for a few hundred km area that intersects the san andres)?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Both versions of RW can handle spatial data. There are a variety of possible workflows that you could use. If you work in ArcGIS, you might start by creating a polygon that corresponds to the boundaries of your Rockworks project. Then all other data can be clipped to this polygon. I personally get a lot of use out of the Global Mapper software, just because I have it. Using Global Mapper, I can import shapefiles and export as DXF, clipping to a defined area in the process. If you have spatial data like a shapefile, you can work within Rockworks -- import shapefile directly into Rockplot 2D and clip the extents there. If you do not have spatial data yet you can create it within Rockplot 2D by importing an image of a map and digitizing lines from the georeferenced image (you will need to know the bounding coordinates of the map area).

Okay, so I tried importing a DXF file and I get this error everytime, regardless of the autocad version the DXF is saved in:

Warning: An unexpected entity [MTEXT] has been found. Line 462 (Abort/Ignore)

Abort yields- Error: Unable to read teh DXF file - Unknown error on line 464:6A

Ignore yields no more errors, and the DXF appears in the Data column left of RockPlot, but the line doesn't draw at all.

Any thoughts?

Dale,

RockWorks only imports a selected subset of DXF types (LINE, LWPOLYLINE, MTEXT, POLYLINE and TEXT) but even there we don't support all options. Your best bet is to Ignore items that can't be read and see if you get enough of the info. BLOCK's can be exploded in AutoCAD to break them into RockWorks readable information. I'm not sure why you'd get this message on a MTEXT entry but if you want to email me the file I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Mitch