RockWare Support Forum
Lara

lithology template for USCS soil classes?

Are there any pre-populated lithology tables, templates, or libraries for RockWorks 15 based on the USCS available for download?

thanks from a newbie,

Lara

Hi Lara,

There are a number of resources available for download in the LogPlot area (Support | LogPlot | Downloads | Data)

LogPlot Design Templates and USCS key words and patterns

http://www.rockware....data.php?id=176

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thanks Tom - that is a useful resource.

In the RockWorks 15 pattern editor, I've been trying to create the filled grain or filled polygon pattern commonly observed on USCS soil symbologies. I've been unsuccessful so far because I can't seem to create features other than lines or dots. How do I create a pattern that includes filled polygons?

thanks

Lara

Hi Lara,

Filled polygons are simulated with drawn lines. Here is Pattern #2 in my USCS PAT file.

uscsfilledpolygon.png

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

I downloaded the zip file with USCS patterns. Unfortunately, the .key patterns are completely different than those that appear on the PDF that accompanies the USCS pattern files. The USCS_soils.key patterns are non-standard and use some strange patterns more often associated with bedrock, not soil and certainly not the USCS classification. The patterns and colors that show up on the USCS_soils.pdf are more standard and I would like to be able to use them if possible.

Short of re-creating the patterns and colors that are in the PDF, is there any way you can share with us the .key file for those colors and patterns? It looks like someone has already created the patterns and colors in RockWorks - it is just a matter of finding where that file is. It would be really useful for us to have that particular .key file and not have to re-create it from scratch, if possible.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tom Ballard

After importing a lithology table from a .key file, it seems you still need to manually go into the pattern editor, hit the "file" button, and select the associated .pat file from which the table will then read the intended fill patterns.

When I did this, I was able to get the USCS soils key to look like the ones in the .pdf document.

Lara

Hi Tom,

It looks like the file USCS_soils.pdf was created with USCS_soils.key, USCS_soils.pat, USCS_soils.dat, and USCS_soils.ldfx. When I compile the DAT file using the KEY and PAT files, it matches the PDF.

All these files are in the ZIP file lp_pats_keys.zip from the LogPlot download page on the RockWare web site.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

uscslppdf.png

Compare LogPlot (LogView) on left with PDF on right.

OK, I got it figured out. I was just importing the .key file and that is where I was running into the problems. Thanks for the assistance!