RockWare Support Forum

database templates

Guest Jason

Guest Jason

Firstly, Hi everyone. My first post and new user of Rockworks.

I am building a borehole database from scratch (which is fun) but is a lot of work to get all of my specifics into the database schema (tables). My question for today is - are there any borehole database templates available? Specifically I am looking for a template to deal with coal seam gas exploration data, but even a coal-oriented database would be handy.

I don't want to take any shortcuts, but would like to have my database in a solid state before entering a mountain of data.

Alternatively, just let me know if building a BD/tables from scratch is a right-of-passage :)

I just did a similar thing with a large data set. The key is to do it in Excel (not input directly through the RW interface), then import the excel file.

I found the best way to do this was to create 2-3 dummy holes, setup all the Lithology Types, Stratigraphy Types, P-Data Types etc, then populate them with some dummy data. Once everything is populated, under borehole manager, hit file, export, xls. This will give you a nice Excel sheet with all the correct headings and data structure.

Once you have your RW Excel output, export all data from your database (perhaps gINT?) to an excel sheet and copy/paste the values into the appropriate fields in the RW Excel sheet.

Looking through help, there are also a number of ways to pull data straight from gINT etc, but this method worked best for me as I only populated lithology, stratigraphy and about 4 different P-Data types.

Jason,

Their are many ways to input the data but,as Dan C said, using Excel is a good way to go. If you would like to see how the Excel spreadsheets look, follow these steps.

- Open the "Samples" project in RockWorks

- Click on File, hover over Export and select XLS (Microsoft Excel)..

- On the left side of the screen select the All (Enabled + Disabled) radio button

- Click on the Items to include and make sure that all options are checked except for the last one (Include XYZ Computations)

- Click on the Process button at the lower left corner of the screen

- An Excel icon should appear on your computer. Open it up and you will see the proper structure to use for generating your Excel data tables.

Guest Jason

Thanks Dan(s)

Most of my existing data is in Excel, so thanks for the tips. This will make life much easier.