RockWare Support Forum

Mixing in GSS

forrie

Hi

In the patch description the following:

"We have released GWB 8.0.7, which addresses the following issues:

•In GSS, allow mixing of samples in arbitrary mass ratios."

First problem: Ive downloaded the patch but I cant see where to change the mixing ratios in GSS.

(One can still mix it yourself in excel but it would be nice if it can be done automatically).

Second problem: why dont GSS mix alkalinities?

Help will be appreciated

Regards

J

Hi Johan:

Have a look at page 36 of the Essentials guide, which addresses both of these issues.

First problem: Ive downloaded the patch but I cant see where to change the mixing ratios in GSS.

(One can still mix it yourself in excel but it would be nice if it can be done automatically).

You can change mixing ratios by adding a Mass solution analyte to the spreadsheet, and specifying a different mass for each solution. For example, to mix fluid A with fluid B in a 3:1 ratio, set a mass of 3 kg for fluid A, and 1 kg for fluid B in the Mass solution field.

Second problem: why dont GSS mix alkalinities?

Some analytes, such as pH and alkalinity, are not conserved during mixing. You'll need to make sure the mass of each component representing the analyte is present in the datasheet- for Alkalinity, this is HCO3- (if you have pH, you'll want to make sure the H+ component is present as well). You can calculate these component concentrations via the Data -> Calculate menu option (set Variable Type to Components in Fluid, and choose HCO3-, H+). Then mix the samples, and save the mixture as a new sample in the spreadsheet - you can now back calculate pH and alkalinity, again via the Data -> Calculate menu option.

I hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.