RockWare Support Forum
kat

True Vertical Depth Curve problems

I am having an issue plotting a True Vertical Depth Curve. I have gamma ray data from a deviated well and wish to depth correct the data to vertical. I have created an Orientation tab and have the deviation survey entered. I understand how to use a scale bar in the design template to reflect the true vertical depth down, but I want to depth correct the actual gamma ray curve to vertical. According to the help menu I can do this by ticking the "True Vertical Depth Curve" box in the Curve Column setup (and choosing Dip from Vertical, my orientation data type).

However, when I check this box the data will not plot and I get an empty curve column. If I uncheck the box, the data plots fine. I've been through the deviation survey numbers and can't figure out why the program won't use the survey to depth-correct my curve.

Help!

Any suggestions?

Hi Kat,

Thank you for posting your question regarding problems with conversion of the gamma ray curve to TVD.

In an e-mail that you sent to our tech inbox, you state that you are using LogPlot 7.1.13.36. The latest version is 7.4.94.100 has some changes to the TVD portion of the program, and you are welcome to download this free update from the RockWare web site to see if it resolves the problem.

If the problem continues, send a ZIP file with your template (LDFX) and data (DAT) files to [email protected] , and we'll attempt to duplicate the problem.

Thanks,

Tom B

Hi Kat,

Thanks for sending your template (LDFX) and data (DAT) files.

The True Vertical Depth Curve setting on the Main tab of the Curve Column Setup dialog box is used to plot the TVD vs. the Measured Depth (MD). It does not have the ability to correct the Gamma Ray curve to TVD. To display the TVD vs. the Gamma Ray curve, add a scale bar and change the settings to calculate the TVD from the Orientation data in the data file.

logplottvdcurvecolumnsez.pnglogplottvd.png

Use the True Vertical Depth Curve check box to plot TVD vs. Measured Depth (blue).

logplottvd.png

Choose the Survey Based setting on the Scale Bar Options dialog to display TVD on the scale bar.

Thanks,

Tom B