RockWare Support Forum

Error messages importing DXF's

chadearle

The following error messages pop up when I'm trying to import various dxfs. Initially, I tried RockPlot3D with surface contour dxfs and then RockPlot2D with OS map dxfs

Message 1

An unexpected entity (TEXT) has been found.

Line 1068

Message 2

Unable to read the dxf file - unknown error on line 1070: G8020571

Has anyone encountered these before?

I've not had that problem myself, but to get round it, you could try converting the dxf files to xyz files (there are quite a few free converter programs floating about - there's a free one on the Rockworks website somewhere). That would at least check your dxf's are correctly formatted (have you had a look at them in a text editor to see if there is a problem?).

The other thing is how are you generating your OS dxfs? I've successfully imported OS landline data in dxf, but haven't tried MasterMap (there shouldn't be a difference, but you never know).

If you have ArcView, you could try converting your dxfs to shape files and importing them that way.

Ken

The following error messages pop up when I'm trying to import various dxfs. Initially, I tried RockPlot3D with surface contour dxfs and then RockPlot2D with OS map dxfs

Message 1

An unexpected entity (TEXT) has been found.

Line 1068

Message 2

Unable to read the dxf file - unknown error on line 1070: G8020571

Has anyone encountered these before?

In a case like this with an unexpected error it would be very helpful to get a copy of the file and to also know more about how it was created. I've replied to your email that you also sent to our support box.

Mitch

Guest Tofer Lewis

DXF files are tough to deal with and troubleshoot some times. Due to their complexity, programs that I use like RockWorks, Petra and Global Mapper need these files to be as simple as possible. Anything unexpected can cause errors and in many cases the conversion from one program to another is ugly - fonts, sizes, positioning, polylines, polygons - all can look different between programs and of course errors...

Sometimes there are external links to objects in AutoCAD that other programs cannot expect. When exported and then imported into another program, the second program has no idea what the object was origionally.

I was using a DXF last week from our land dept that looked completely different in Petra and Global Mapper. I did not try RockWorks, but my guess is all 3 will have looked much different. I finally converted the origional to .SHP format and it was more acurate in both...

My guess is RockWorks is finding something odd with your text, or some entity and then the error. You may want to send your file to support@rockware.com and have them look at it. They can try to import it. It may be something simple...

I hope this helps a little...

T

• 6 years later...