RockWare Support Forum

Grid initialize error

iwarren

I cannot get the Grid Initialize function to create a vertical plane "dipping" to 210. I've supplied all the required parameters and the 2D contour output hangs up at 96% complete and the 3D output is blank with no grid surface. Is something wrong with grid initialize after the most recent software upgrade?

Hi Warren,

The program will not allow you to create a vertical grid (you can't assign multiple z values to a single xy location in a grid), but you should be able to create a plane with a dip direction of 210 (the dip amount should be between -90 and +90).

If you are truly trying to represent a vertical plane in RockPlot3D, you might take a look at a tool that we added fairly recently under Graphix --> 3D-Utilities --> Fault Contours -> Fault Surface menu item. This allows you to create an ATD file with a list of XYZ values withing 2 or more polylines within a fault surface. The program will consruct triangles connecting the polylines. This would be purely for visual purposes (a grid is not created).

The Graphix --> 3D-Utilities --> Triangles program also might come in handy.

If you are really trying to create a surface that is not exactly vertical (say with a dip of 89 degrees) and you are running into problems, it would be helpful if you could email me the menu settings for the grid initialize tool (alison@rockware.com). I'd be happy to test this in my end.

Thanks,

Alison