RockWare Support Forum
paulus

lithology model does not fit the logs in sections

I have made a lithological solid model from borehole data using Rockworks 14. When I make a lithology profile (with a swath larger than voxel size) or a lithology section (snapping the section to the boreholes)not all of the boreholes in the section display the same lithology as the model. I do not know why the lithological solid model ignores some of the boreholes.

From the explanation of the horizontal lithoblending I understood that there is horizonal interpolation between boreholes. The tool fills the space between the boreholes equally and respecting each borehole.

Thanks for any help.

post-649-12641701316901_thumb.png

Hi paulus,

It looks like the model spacing is too coarse or too widely spaced to honor the wells in your profile. Reduce the model spacing in the X, Y, and Z directions for a higher resolution model and a better fit.

Thanks,

Tom B

After some investigations into the statistics of the model I found out that I made a mistake in the spacing. It was indeed too large.

Thank you for the help!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved the problem.

Tom B

Hello Tom,

I have one short question.

I have switched off "interpolate outliers" in the lithology modelling options. This gives varied interpolation distances, leading often to small interpolations. I understand that this is because the cut-off distance is defined as the distance to the nearest borehole.

Is it possible to have a set cut-off distance for the lithology model?

For my study of modelling glacial sediments, it is not reasonable to let a lithologies in a borehole radiate/bleed outward for a bigger radius than 1km.

Thank you very much,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Change the Lithology algorithm to the Closest Point and specify the desired cutoff distance.

Tom B

lithmodelclosestpointcu.jpg

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry that I did not see your message earlier.

The Closest Point method with the option for a fixed cutoff distance was added in RockWorks15. It is not present in RockWorks14.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc