RockWare Support Forum

error in modelling

Gene

Hi,

I have used the same data set and generated the 3D stratigraphy model with the same setting for many times. In the beginning, I could obtain resonable result of 3D model. Howvever,after I have repeated the process for many times, I cannot otbain any results at all now (seems the program hanged with a blank screen). Moreover, my colleague is now unable to start the process after she used the programme many times.

I would like know whether the errors (if any) form during the process will build up & store in the programme. Do we need to clean up or debug the system regularly?

Please kindly give me some advice.

Thanks

There shouldn't be any cumulative errors from modeling but all programs do consume more memory and disk space the longer they run. This is an unavoidable result of the memory management of Windows and the language that RockWorks is written in.

What version of RockWorks are you using?

How big are the models that you're creating?

How much free disk space do you have?

How much memory is available?

If possible increase the amount of virtual memory. This can be done by right clicking on "My Computer" in Windows Explorer and selecting Properties. Go to "Advanced", "Performance Settings", "Advanced", "Virtual Memory Change". Select "Custom" and increase the "Maximum size". These directions may vary depending on what version of Windows you're running.

Mitch

In addition to the system changes Mitch advised, you can also try some program options:

1. Rebooting is always a good idea, but you've probably already done that.

2. Check the data itself: Use the Project / Check Data Integrity option to have the program scan the data and the database for any possible problems.

3. Check the menu settings: Use the Tools / Export Menu Settings option to save a copy of your current menu setup (choose Export Project Settings). Then use Tools / Reset Menu Settings to Reset Project Settings back to factory defaults. Try running the stratigraphy model using the factory defaults for gridding options, etc. You can then incrementally adjust the items back to your previous settings.

4. If you have already interpolated the surfaces for the stratigraphy model (the GRD file for each unit's top and base), and are pleased with the result, you can un-check the Interpolate Surfaces option for subsequent stratigraphy diagrams (profiles, for example) so that the program doesn't keep interpolating the same model over and over again. It will simply use the existing GRD files for the different diagrams.

Further troubleshooting may be more easily done via email - feel free to contact us at tech@rockware.com or you can contact me directly at the address shown below.

Thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

molly@rockware.com