RockWare Support Forum

Stratigraphy Fence/Section

Gene

Hi,

I am using Rockworks to study the geological condition along 4 potential alignments of a proposed tunnel.

Stratigraphy Model has been generated by adjacent boreholes information.

4 fences along 4 alignments have also been created with the function Fence in a 3D format.

How can I extract these 4 fences and present them in 2D format? Or I can only get a 2D fence/section with the function Section?

After generating 2D statigraphy section, how can I draw the tunnel alignment to the section? (a 3D tunnel alignment has been generated)

Thanks

Hi Gene,

sounds like you need to add the tunnels to your model and then you can plot either profiles or sections in 2D. You can add the tunnels to your model in the Utilities section of Rockworks. Go to Solid/Filter/Tube Filter. You'll need to supply a table of XYZ end point coordinates for your tunnel(s), set a Tube Radius and select Nullify Interior Nodes.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I am trying to use the Tube Filter to plot the tunnel.

However, the shape of the tunnel in the result is not as smooth as the one I got in Grafix

Do I need to set the XYZ spacing for the Tube Filter function?

And how to plot tunnel that is not in circular section?

Thanks

The tube filter is limited to the resolution of the model however I wouldn't tun the resolution way up just to get a nicely smoothed tunnel. Once you've got the position on your section or profile you might try drawing over it with the circle or polygon tools in RockPlot2D.

The Tube Filter and Tubes Utility only do a round radius at this point. Any other shapes would require that you edit the and solid models or add them graphically either in RockPlot2D or in a CAD program (DXF export). I'll add the request for a rectangular tunnels to our wish list.

Mitch

• 3 weeks later...

You can adjust the Model Resolution 3 ways:

1. Change the spacing in your Project Dimensions. This is probably the best since it will insure that your model dimensions are consistent in the project.

2. Setting the Model Dimensions to "Variable" in the Solid Modeling Options dialog. The program will calculate the spacing based on the minimum/maximum coordinates and a user specified number of cells.

3. Overriding the Model Dimensions by selecting "Confirm Model Dimensions" in the Solid Modeling Options dialog. This will display the current dimensions when mdoeling and allow you to change them.