RockWare Support Forum
Emma

Rose Diagram Circle settings

Hello: Is there any way to set all rose diagrams within a rose diagram map to the same circle spacing? In other words, I would like for the circles spacing to remain consistent between plots rather than adjust to the maximum for each individual diagram. Whenever I change settings, the ray lengths stay the same and the the circle spacing adjusts.

Thank you for your help.

Emma

In the Rose menu expand the Circles and then Circle Spacing, select Manual and specify the Spacing that you want.

Mitch

Yes - but that is the problem I'm having. The diagrams are not consistent with each other. The circle spacing varies visually. I want a uniform number of circles across all diagrams (not 3 circles in rose A and 8 in rose B ). Perhaps another way to say this is that the circles are visually consistent across the map and the petals vary in width. This would require circles beyond the the maximum frequency (or percent) for some plots. Sorry if I am not explaining this well. Is there a way to do this within RockWorks?

Thanks.

Emma

Hi Emma,

For rose maps, each rose diagram is scaled to fit within the Width and Height dimensions you've defined. So, if the individual roses have radically different petal extents (lengths), then you will, indeed, get same-sized roses on the map, but with different circle spacing.

I've added a scaling request to our wish-list for RockWorks15, to make the roses consistent in size relative to each other rather than relative to the map.

Molly

RockWare Inc.

Hello,

May I know how you did the rose map? I have the location for each point where I took the measurements, but I cannot figure out how to plot the roses in a single map. Can you help me?

thank you

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

The Rose Map program is available in the Borehole Manager portion of RockWorks, in the Fractures menu. It is designed to read the downhole fracture orientations and create a map of mini-rose-diagrams placed at the borehole locations.

In the Utilities, you might be able to create a separate rose diagram for each grouping of bearing measurements, then use the Grafix | 2D Utilities | Rescale menu option to rescale each diagram using an origin of your sample locations and a scalar as appropriate to reduce the size of the diagram, then append the roses to a control point map. (This could be scripted.)

One drawback to this method is that the Rescale | Origin method places the defined XY coordinate at the SW corner of the rescaled rose, not at the middle. In the attached example, I used the coordinates of DH-01 for my origin, and rescaled my rose using a scalar of 0.1, saved the rescaled rose, and appended it to my borehole location map. Note that the rose plots to the NE of the bh location.

post-3-063625500 1306353922_thumb.jpg

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.