RockWare Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GregVDS

a way to record and apply enabled cores subset?

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to quickly record a composition of enabled/disabled cores?

My need is to change the status of huge cores sets at once (I'm dealing with thousands of cores and testholes). I would sometimes be pleased to be able to deselect all my testholes (only used for chemistry intervals for isopachs maps), or only show the cores based on their names, then come back to my former selection (some misplaced I discarded, or problematic ones, stuff like that).

So, basically, when you have enabled/disabled some of your cores, you would save that criteria only, changing it, record again, and then later, reapply the first selection set, and so on.

This again could really help to work out the dataset.

All the best,

Greg

Greg, the View --> Filter Boreholes and View --> Select Boreholes tools in the Borehole Manager should help you do this.

If you are able to differentiate between different types of holes based on the borehole name, then you could do a LIKE query on the Borehole Name field (which is listed under Optional Field queries). For example, if you wanted to turn on all boreholes that start with CH, you would choose LIKE as the Operator, and type in "CH%" as the Value.

If the Borehole name isn't a distinguishing factor, then you may need to create a new field in the Locations table designating different types of boreholes.

The Filter and Select program both have tools for displaying SQL statements created by the query tools. Once you've come up with a good system, you can create RCL files that include SQL statements and simply double click on them in the Project Manager when you need to enable or disable a specific group of boreholes. Here is an example of an RCL script that runs an SQL statement (I've used the CH borehole name instance presented above as an example).

SQL:

UPDATE [Location] L

SET [Enabled] = -1

WHERE (L.[Name] LIKE 'CH%')

SQL-END:

Please feel free to contact me with additional questions at [email protected]

Regards,

Alison

Thanks Alison,

this can help in some situations, but here, I'm with a borehole database with >3000 boreholes, the majority being enabled, and some, erraticaly, being disabled for they have problems, either of coordinates or of interpretations, but I don't want to loose them either. So, I got a subset impossible to reproduce by any SQL statement. If I operate whatever new subsetting, based on name or whatever other criteria, I'll loose this first subset, which is mandatory for my work. Hence the question, is it a way to save enabled/disabled characteristic for each borehole on the entire database to reapply it later. Apparently not, and this could really help.

Thanks again,

Greg

Hi Greg:

I understand what you are saying. One other suggestion (although it is not great with larger datasets), would be to transfer your data from the Borehole Manager to the Utilities through the File menu. The ATD file created here contains an "Enabled" Column that record whether a borehole is checked on or not. You can save this ATD as a record of which boreholes are enabled or not, and you can transfer this data from the Utilities to the BH Manager in the future if you need to bring the Location table back to this format.

The downside to this approach is that after you've transferred the location data back to the BH Manager, the program will try to recalculate XYZ values for all of the Boreholes in the database (this could be very time consuming if you are working with a large database). Additionally, if you change other types of information in the Locations table (for example Easting/Northing/Elevation information), you may accidentally overwrite it with old data in the future by importing an ATD file with old data.

One other option would be to dump your location data out to an XLS file, and update the enabled field manually in Access - this would allow you to avoid the recalculation of XYZ values.

I will definitely add your suggestion to our database. Please let me know if you have any questions about the information above.

Best Regards,

Alison

The ATD way is a good thing, but I already discovered XYZ calculation is awfully slow when dealing with 1000s of boreholes. Anyway, I'll try it with small database.

The xls way I don't quite catch. Do you go and edit the MDB file directly in the back of RW? If possible, I would write a python script to deal with this, and have the enabled/disabled status dumped in a pickle file.

By the way, Python would be a must to code and work into RW.

All the best,

Greg

Is there an easier way today to enable a certain set of wells? Looking at the option of "transferred the location data back to the BH Manager" I'm a bit afraid of screwing my database entries....

Thanks,

Julia