RockWare Support Forum
iwarren

polylines to planes

I have elevation attributed polylines that are structure contours of an interpreted fault. I have duplicated the ASCII format of the help file and still have no success using the polyline to plane tool. This is a plane surface, not irregular. I've created a grid of the elevations-do I need to drape it on itself? I've worked in multiple 3D modeling environments but am new to RockWorks. This seems like a much too easy task to be so hard to figure out. How do you quickly display an interpreted fault plane in 3D to test structural interpretations? I will need to do this quickly and often and there is no way it can be as hard as I feel like it is right now.

If you could send the ASCII files you are having problems with to [email protected], we'd be happy to take a look at the file and get back to you quickly with suggestions on how to fix the problem. The polyline to plane tool is intended to help you estimate the orientation a plane defined by a polyline that does not necessary have a contant elevation. If you have straight polylines, then this would not be a good tool to use.

Do you simply need to display the fault as a surface in RockPlot3D? If so, it would probably make the most sense to create a grid of the fault, which can then be displayed as surface in RockPlot3D. You can display a gridded surface in RockPlot3D by double clicking on the grid in the Project Manager, and choosing to create a 3D Diagram of the grid.

If you are using RockWorks15, and would prefer to create a TIN rather than a gridded surface, than a gridded surface, you also might consider using the Graphix --> 3D-Utilities --> Fault Contours -> Fault Surface tool, which will construct a triangulated surface of your data. The downside of using a TIN like this is that you would not be able to display it in 2D diagrams, or truncate other surfaces based on the TIN. If you need to do things like this, created a gridded surface would be the way to go.

I may not understand exactly what you want to do. If you would like to send more details, feel free to contact me diretly at [email protected]