RockWare Support Forum
April_SC09

Digitized Well logs from Didger to Logplot?

I am working with Didger 4 and then trying to get the files into the templates in Logplot. However I am having many issues.

1. When I use the export LAS option, my LAS files have repeated headings, the Depth unit is repeated in all heading rows, not all headings in the export window are showing up in my LAS file. etc. Then the well log information is limited. So I am having to make tedious fixes in notepad.

2. When I export the LAS Files into Logplot, sometimes it gives me an error asking to close the application or does not read the LAS file. Or the data is exported sometimes with similar issues stated in #1. Then I have to tediously fix these heading rows, delete zeros in my data, etc. Switch things in the logdesign.

3. Then I tried exporting as a .dat file and this does not allow for adding the well log infomation, and repeats the file name and attributes curve name, unit, description etc.

However each well log is variable and has different number of headings and different types of curves, with different horizontal and vertical scales. Which means I am making alot of tedious fixes and having to use notepad outside of Didger and Logplot. I really think these softwares should be more compatible and this should not be an issue. What would you recommend for me to do?

Thanks

Hi April,

I have not seen this problem before, and I cannot duplicate the problem when I export a LAS from Didger and import the LAS in LogPlot7.

You are welcome to send me a ZIP file with your Didger PJT, LAS, and LogPlot LDFX files and I will take a look. Larger files may be uploaded to the RockWare upload site.

Thanks,

Tom B

[email protected]

I uploaded several files through the link you provided. A tif of the well log, didger project file, an LAS file, and a logplot ldfx. As you can see my LAS file has FT after each heading, COMP is repeated, PROV is repeated. The LAT numbers are missing. Thanks for any help you can provide.

April

Hi April,

1. It looks like the Didger LAS file has units listed for every field (.FT in the LAS file), and LogPlot uses that information in the E-TEXT for blank fields that have no other information. I've submitted this to programming for further analysis. To work around the problem, put a period "." in any blank fields. LogPlot will load the period into the E-TEXT header instead of the FT text.

Another workaround is to replace ".FT______________________:" with ".________________________:" using Notepad. I used underscores to represent the spaces so they will display in the forum.

- I see that the COMP field is repeated in the LAS file, but I do not see any problems with this behavior.

- The PROV field is repeated, once blank and once with information. Both fields are displayed on the E-TEXT tab in LogPlot.

- The blank LAT field is more problematic. I have reported the problem to the developer for further analysis. For now, this field will have to be edited manually.

2. I have not received any reports of LogPlot displaying an error closing the application when reading LAS files. Upload LAS files that exhibit this behavior and we'll take a look.

3. The ASCII text file import was designed only to read the depth and curve information. Since all header information has to be entered manually in Didger for export to LAS, it may make more sense to enter the data fields manually in the LAS file.

Thanks,

Tom B

Here's the reply from the developer:

Daniel Swartzendruber

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Hello April,

Thank you for pointing these things out! After testing I've confirmed that:

1. The LAT field in the ~WELL section is filled in withthe contents of the MISC1 field, and not the Latitude field from the dialog.
  2. The CNTY field is mislabeled PROV in the ~WELL section.This means that a lot of programs reading the file will get both the county and the province wrong.
  3. The COMP field is repeated in the ~WELL section. This will probably not cause problems.
  4. Every.UNIT field in the ~WELL section is assigned the same unit as the DEPTH field from the ~CURVE section. This will probably not cause problems;units are irrelevant for items not matching the curve units.

As a workaround for issue #1 you can enter the Latitude coordinate in the *Misc 1* field.

We apologize for the inconvenience. All of these issues have been reported to our programming team and assigned the highest prioritycategory for a fix. Expect them to be corrected in the next update to Didger 4.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi April,

The two LAS files that you uploaded are missing the units for the STRT, STOP, and STEP. I added "FT" for the units and they import without error.

Thanks,

Tom B

[email protected]

BEFORE

STRT .                     0.000000 : 
STOP .                   330.000000 : 
STEP .                     0.100000 : 

AFTER

STRT .FT                     0.000000 : 
STOP .FT                   330.000000 : 
STEP .FT                     0.100000 :